Assign multiple buttons to the same parameter

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
benirose

Assign multiple buttons to the same parameter

Post by benirose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Is there a way to assign multiple buttons to the same parameter using MIDI in Live? I am using the Launchpad in user 1 mode and want to assign 6 different pads to all mute the same channel. I will additionally be assign these same pads to 6 different clips. The idea is that I have some one shots that I want to trigger with the keys on a channel together, and I want it to mute a different channel that's playing back a loop when I trigger the one shots. I seem to be able to assign one of the buttons to both parameters (play the clip AND mute the other channel) but when I try to assign the other buttons to mute the channel, it moves the assignment. Is there a way to assign multiple MIDI messages to the same parameter?

If not, does anyone know an external program I could use that might be able to translate midi signals in a way to make this happen (for example, when anything in the range of E3-C4 comes in, also generate a midi in signal of C5). Thanks!

S4racen

Re: Assign multiple buttons to the same parameter

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:09 pm

You either want bomes, controlaid or max... All dependant on budget and the time you want to put into it!

Cheers
D

benirose

Post by benirose » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 am

I have max for live actually, but haven't used it too much. Can I build a patch using it to do this? Could you maybe help me out?

mbira

Post by mbira » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

If not, does anyone know an external program I could use that might be able to translate midi signals in a way to make this happen (for example, when anything in the range of E3-C4 comes in, also generate a midi in signal of C5). Thanks!
Midi OX for PC or Midipipe for Mac.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm

benirose wrote:I have max for live actually, but haven't used it too much. Can I build a patch using it to do this? Could you maybe help me out?
If you have a look on the maxforlive.com website for Shelluser Live Object Model device you can use it to locate the path for the knobs through the control surface.... if you ping me a pm with your email i have a complete dump of all the controls and components for the apc40 which will help when you start....

Cheers
D

jessemiller

Post by jessemiller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm guessing there is probably a work around that is more simple. Why don't you just have the one shots in the same channel as the loop?

I was trying to find a way to do something similar involving changing the midi channel of an incoming signal and extra processing with Max was becoming burdensome for something that seemed so simple.

Post by 742617000027 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Sorry for exhuming this thread, but it's still very relevant I think.

Has anything been developped so far to face this problem? For example, I want to have two rotary faders to control the tempo in Live, one to control the tempo range from (min) 128 BPM to (max) 145 BPM and the other the range from (min) 145 BPM to (max) 180 BPM. Just so that I can twist the faders in no time without having to worry about hitting the correct tempo (I want to be able to slowly raise or lower the tempo also, though). It's for a Dubstep live set that also contains electro and DnB tracks and two different tempo controlling faders would be extremely helpful.

Help on this issue would be extremely appriciated!