Possible to have Live not record short accidental notes?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
seattletruth

Possible to have Live not record short accidental notes?

Post by seattletruth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 am

I'm not a very good keyboard player and a lot of the time I hit accidental notes when recording while playing the next chord... But they are always really short grace-notes while sliding into the right position.

So is there some type of midi plugin or setting I can use so that I don't have to go through and delete them all manually?

Thx.

Yoseph

Re: Possible to have Live not record short accidental notes?

Post by Yoseph » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:45 am

It might be possible to gate out certain velocities from your keyboard. Otherwise learn how to play the keyboard :lol:

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 am

Yoseph wrote: Otherwise learn how to play the keyboard :lol:
Sounds like a strategy, meanwhile...
It might be possible to gate out certain velocities from your keyboard.
Live's midi effect 'Velocity' offers a gate mode. Notes below the value you define as 'lowest' will remain in the notes editor but won't be passed on to the instrument.

Different approach, deleting notes without having to locate them individually is via the velocity editor. You can pull it up to maximum visibility and click-drag your mouse to highlight all the notes below a certain value at once. Hit delete and you're done.

MisterMcGillicuddy

Post by MisterMcGillicuddy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 am

I think you'd just be better off practicing whatever you keep screwing up.

Always works for me.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 am

MisterMcGillicuddy wrote:I think you'd just be better off practicing whatever you keep screwing up.

Always works for me.
Why would I practice something I'm just recording in to program the synth line, when I can just edit it to make it right?

frep45

Post by frep45 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

seattletruth wrote:
MisterMcGillicuddy wrote:I think you'd just be better off practicing whatever you keep screwing up.

Always works for me.
Why would I practice something I'm just recording in to program the synth line, when I can just edit it to make it right?
Although MisterMcGillicuddy wasn't answering your direct question, I think he was trying to give you advice that may help you in general. Practicing your synth line on the keyboard might not only reduce the amount of editing you have to do, it will make you a better player, and might allow you to make better synth lines in the future :D
Live 7.0.18 / Win7 Pro 64-bit / M-Audio FastTrack Ultra / 4gb RAM / 3.16ghz Core 2 Duo
APC40 / padKontrol / nanoKontrol / Yamaha P-120

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 pm

frep45 wrote:
seattletruth wrote:

Always works for me.
Although MisterMcGillicuddy wasn't answering your direct question, I think he was trying to give you advice that may help you in general. Practicing your synth line on the keyboard might not only reduce the amount of editing you have to do, it will make you a better player, and might allow you to make better synth lines in the future :D

Really???? You mean practicing something will make you better at it?? Fuckin genius right there...

And I thought cigarettes had vitamins in them and stuff.

frep45

Post by frep45 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 pm

seattletruth wrote:[sarcastic, rude reply #2 to honest help]
I see. Have a merry day!
Live 7.0.18 / Win7 Pro 64-bit / M-Audio FastTrack Ultra / 4gb RAM / 3.16ghz Core 2 Duo
APC40 / padKontrol / nanoKontrol / Yamaha P-120