Max For Live (demo) devices not showing up for me

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Fanu

Max For Live (demo) devices not showing up for me

Post by Fanu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 pm

I downloaded the latest Max (Max5_45300.dmg) and also installed the "MaxForLiveContent.alp" that was included with it.

However, no Max-related content can be seen in any of my Live Devices menu.

I have a licensed version of Suite 8.
I've also installed the very latest beta of Live and then re-authorized.
Still won't show up.

If I run MaxMSP as an app, it says, of course, that I have 30 days left and I can "demo" it.

But I want to see M4L in action inside Live.

Do you have any ideas why it doesn't show up in my Live Devices manu?

Fanu

Re: Max For Live (demo) devices not showing up for me

Post by Fanu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Also, if I locate the .adv files in Finder and dbl-click on them or drag them into Live, it says "this device is not available in this version of Live".

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Also, nothing Max-related is shown in "preferences -> File Folder" menu.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:13 pm

I just realized it says on the site, "The Max for Live trial requires Max 5 and the Ableton Suite 8 trial version".
I've got a licensed version, not a trial one.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Ableton's customer support helped me out :)

The versions I have are Live 8.2.2b5 and Live 8.2.2b6, which didn't display the 'Show all products at startup' option.
Installing the version 8.2.2 did the trick.
Yess!
So it brings me the M4L devices that I can now demo.

e-jam4040

Post by e-jam4040 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Thankyou so much for this!! Its completely fixed my problem,

Cheers for taking the time to post it all :)

Tom Purcell

Post by Tom Purcell » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 am

Hey, I noticed I was having the same problem.

So, you're saying the solution is to have the "show all products at startup" option turned on, and then to open the version that supports M4L?

I have Live Suite 8 (Educational Version), and when I open it without the "show all products at startup" option on, by default it opens up a version that doesn't show Max for Live in the devices menu. Is it possible to just have it open up without having to "show all products"?

This post may be confusing, but I am also confused. Hah.

Tom Purcell

Post by Tom Purcell » Sun May 22, 2011 1:43 am

ok, I forgot to mention:

I am able to open up Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live by using the "show all products at startup" option. BUT it says it is unauthorized and therefore saving and exporting are deactivated.

When I then go to authorize it, it takes me through the normal authorization process, but when it's finished authorizing it takes me back to my version of Live where there is no M4L!

So it appears as though I can only use Max for Live on an unauthorized version of Live, which is pointless.

can anybody help?
thanks.

cad

Post by cad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 am

Tom Purcell wrote:I am able to open up Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live by using the "show all products at startup" option. BUT it says it is unauthorized and therefore saving and exporting are deactivated.

When I then go to authorize it, it takes me through the normal authorization process, but when it's finished authorizing it takes me back to my version of Live where there is no M4L!

So it appears as though I can only use Max for Live on an unauthorized version of Live, which is pointless.
Three months later and i'm facing the same issue. I did all the above and the end result after 4 hours of
stubbornly restarting live (yes i'm stupid) is still no max devices at the device menu. Unless some of you
fellas has come to a solution i guess I'll uninstall max & i'll give up at the idea of buying M4L until i
can actually try it. greetings
Live 8.2.1, 3GHz Athlon II X2 250, 4Gb DDR2, M-audio 2496, Focusrite Saffire, Win XP Pro SP3