How do I beat slice into 1 note?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rlowery

How do I beat slice into 1 note?

Post by rlowery » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 am

Ok, so I beat-slice up a clip into about 16 slices. Instead of playing the slices chromatically or re-arranged, how do I send all of those slices to just one note? I want like C3 to play all 16 slices one after another. Any ideas? Played with Sampler and it's zone but I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

And on a side note, if you're up for another challenge.... Any ideas how to mix levels for the CUE? When I perform, I have a mix going out to the main system and some clips and the metronome going out the CUE to my in-ears. The mix that I have for the main sound is mixed, but when going through cue they are all at the same level, making the metronome difficult to hear at times. I know "turn it up dude" but i don't want to choose b/w just hear the metronome in my monitor or too much noise that covers the metronome. Thanks people, pleeeze help!

Rob

Cezband

Re: How do I beat slice into 1 note?

Post by Cezband » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am

I don't think I understand your question about the slicing...could you maybe freeze/flatten the sliced section then put that one audio file back in to simpler / sampler on the C3?

For the metronome, you could make a seperate metronome clip and choose a sound for it that cuts through the mix more...and at least with a clip, you can change the volume of just the metronome itself without messing with your other levels.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

I'd play with Arpeggiator for the note-following. If you want 16 sliced notes to play consecutively, I'd use two Arpeggiators. One that plays up every-other note for 8 notes at half the rate of your clips. A second one that goes up a single note at the exact rate of your pieces. If you need it quantized, then add a 3rd Arp before that and set it to whatever quantization you want, at 100% gate :) (possible with the hold button on??)

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 pm

drop a Random device (in 'MIDI Effects') before your sampler/drumrack and set it up like this:

Chance: 100%
Choices: 16
Mode: alt
Scale: 1
Sign: Add

rlowery

Post by rlowery » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

YES Thank you! I play in a drum show called The Cadence and I have triggered buckets, but only 5. That totally helped make my show a lot cooler. You rock!!

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Nice to see that rack description as a sticky.

Key pressed sampler drum re-arranger thingy. :)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 am

rlowery wrote: I want like C3 to play all 16 slices one after another. Any ideas?
don't slice the sample

haha