Is there something wrong with arrangement View? YES

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
The Philosopher King

Is there something wrong with arrangement View? YES

Post by The Philosopher King » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:51 am

Is there something wrong with arrangement View in Ableton? Any known issues? I don't come to the Forum very often so I'd like to 'pick your brains' as they say.

I'm just recovering from another Crash and the more I think about it, I'm almost certain that every crash I experience in Ableton, occurs in Arrangement View.

(a) If I play too many fast MIDI notes in Arrangement View or have 'too much' MIDI controller information going on, I often have a crash.
(b) If I try to use my IK Multimedia Amp Sims in Arrangement View, I often get a crash. [I haven't upgraded to Amplitube 3.5 yet. There seems to be issues with the initial release.]
(c) If I load up OP-X Pro II, it always crashes in Arrangement View but NEVER in Session View.

Just a few examples off the top of my head.

TPK

Windows 7. Live 8.2.2
Last edited by The Philosopher King on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

JBlongz

Re: Is there something wrong with arrangement View in Ableton?

Post by JBlongz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:12 am

I can relate that IK Multimedia plugins are often glitchy with Ableton. I ha experience a great number of crashes over the years. I recently suggested the upgrade their code to 64bit. But we'll have to wait a while for that. Arrangement view also need a complete overhaul as hacking the theme settings via SonicTransfer's application gets boring fast. If you're fortunate to have chosen a mac like most of us here, you should definitely use AU formats over VST. I find that they are more stable on my platform.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks JBlongz. I'm on Windows 7. :wink:

I hope this issue (as I experience it) can be solved without lazily resorting to throwing access to more RAM at the problem.

If everything appears to work well in Session view, then there is no reason (I know of) why it can't work just as well in Arrangement View.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 am

Just picked up a 'few' random quotes from the forum.

''crashes have been occurring in arrangement view...''
''my crashes come from arrangement view.''
''i don't recall ever having a crash in session view.''
''... i had this crash while my song was playing in arrangement view.''
''I encountered a lot of crashes, mainly in the arrangement view''

So, the answer to my question at this point seems to be ... YES.

doghouse

Re: Is there something wrong with arrangement View? YES

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 pm

The Philosopher King wrote: If I try to use my IK Multimedia Amp Sims in Arrangement View, I often get a crash.
I had this problem too. Good thing I got my copy free (in a bundle with TRacks). I switched to another amp sim, problem solved.

The Philosopher King

Re: Is there something wrong with arrangement View? YES

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:33 pm

doghouse wrote:
The Philosopher King wrote: If I try to use my IK Multimedia Amp Sims in Arrangement View, I often get a crash.
I had this problem too. Good thing I got my copy free (in a bundle with TRacks). I switched to another amp sim, problem solved.
Right now, this seems to be the 'answer' all right.

Thanks for your input doghouse.