Best way to "mix" instrumental track and original track?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ffckh

Best way to "mix" instrumental track and original track?

Post by ffckh » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to insert only the female voice from the original track in the instrumental track so I can record the male part only. Problem is that I can't figure a way to make a good "mix".

In the picture, the red boxes show where the female voice comes in and where it comes out. What I tried to do:

1) Leave the instrumental track playing while the woman sings - I can't because the instrumental track is a little faster than the original one, so I'd had to warp the time specifically of this slice of the instrumental track to fit with the female singing.

2) Delete the slice of the instrumental track while the woman sings, but it's not good because the sudden disappearing of the instrumental track sounds real bad.

Any ideas for my problem? I use Live 6 so I guess there is no cross fade. Tks!

longjohns

Re: Best way to "mix" instrumental track and original track?

Post by longjohns » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 am

cross fade, schmoss fade. those are just fades which are automatically produced due to some algorithm or other. you could replicate manually.

try to make the fades as quick as possible?

maybe disguise them with some other fx? a delay on the fade out of the instrumental, etc.

?

ffckh

Re: Best way to "mix" instrumental track and original track?

Post by ffckh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Tks for the reply!

I think I solved the problem adjusting the Track Volume manually. I made kind of long fade-outs and long fade-ins so that the instrumental track smoothly switch to the original track and then switch again to the instrumental. Not perfect but at least decent!