Ableton Live or Ableton Suite?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support

Ableton Live or Suite?

Live
35%
Suite
65%

Total votes: 31

hugepeters

Ableton Live or Ableton Suite?

Post by hugepeters » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but i couldn't find the last thread on it,

I am currently using Ableton Suite on a mates computer and have been for the past few months. I mainly use it for composing songs made up of samples of my own making then using ableton to add bass, effects etc. So one would think that it sounds like i'd just need Ableton Live for what I want to do. True enough and in essence it will probably do the trick. My main question is:

What instrument library comes with Ableton Live and how does it compare with suite?

+ is the price difference between the two really worth it?

Cheers,

Mike

p.s thought i'd slap on a poll for he hell of it

eddiex

Re: Ableton Live or Ableton Suite?

Post by eddiex » Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 am

live and suite are basically the same thing...except suite has the extra instruments...sampler, operAtor, analog, amp etc.....i think the only other library stuff suite comes with is latin percussion, drum machines and session drums...live just comes with the essential instrument collection2 and simpler...the instrument collections are not that different...aside from the drum stuff....which is alright....but you can get better on the internet...as for if its worth it or not? i actually asked this question of the forum before i took the plunge....it all depends on what you want to do....sampler and operator were totally worth it for me.....i haven't touched the other stuff yet...but just having those tools there opens up the door to a crazy world.....however there is also a great learning curve....and sometimes being restricted can be conductive to creativity too...
so.....i say if you want all of those instruments to do a lot of your own sound and instrument design..and money is no problem...take the plunge and buy suite....you will be happy with it....i mean you have already been using it, im sure you mucked around with the instruments a little....remember live8 only comes with, i think just simpler...so if you have been using other instruments....it could effect the happiness factor.
if money is an issue....stick with live8...it gives you a pretty alright bang for your buck....you will still be pretty happy.
i vote suite because i like it! :wink:
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

niksG

Post by niksG » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 am

Ableton Live is a loop-based software music sequencer and DAW for Mac OS and Windows by Ableton. The latest major release of Live, Version 8, was released in April 2009. In contrast to many other software sequencers, Live is designed to be an instrument for live performances as well as a tool for composing and arranging. It is also used for mixing of tracks by DJs, as it offers a suite of controls for beatmatching, crossfading, and other effects used by turntablists, and was one of the first music applications to automatically beat match songs. It does not support traditional musical notation.[1

GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch » Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm

I upgraded to Suite a few weeks ago. Just dicking around in Operator, Sampler, the Drum Racks and the extra FX are well worth the $250 (IMHO). While you can experiment w/ the base install, Suite you can actually lose track of time doing it.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed May 11, 2011 2:16 pm

The extra content and instruments that you get with suite is good value for money I think ans has the advantage of good stability compared to using Live with VSTs. But It certainly doesn't cover all bases, and not all the instruments will suite everyone's taste.

Best advice is to try the demo.
Last edited by crumhorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

abl385

Post by abl385 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Although I own Suite, I would rather save the extra money and then some more to spend it on external plug-ins.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

eddiex wrote:sampler and operator were totally worth it for me.....
This.

I actually bought it for sampler and analog, but went to operator and haven't turned back. I also love making nasty CPU hogging synths in Massive and then using sampler so I can use the sounds in a more CPU friendly way, stack sounds, etc..
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

colonp

Post by colonp » Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 am

I really like Operator. Analog is alrite. I really don't use anything else from Suite, although have tried out Collision a couple of times, which is also a bit neat.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu May 12, 2011 4:43 pm

colonp wrote:I really like Operator. Analog is alrite. I really don't use anything else from Suite, although have tried out Collision a couple of times, which is also a bit neat.
Give sampler a go, especially if you have nice VST's that are just too CPU hungry. Make a nice patch, freeze it, then drag it into sampler. You could do 100 of them and throw them into the same sampler and control which sample plays based on your selection, or randomize it, or have it play a different sound based on the key. Pretty powerful stuff w/ almost no CPU usage. I do this w/ drum tones and then throw the samplers I make in a drum rack. Then I can make a beat not caring about the sound and then tweak the flavors of each hit.

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:28 am

I'm totally confused.

I downloaded a copy of Ableton Live (demo version). And it has all the stuff that has been mentioned here. E.g. Operator, effects, and so on.

I use Native Instruments Komplete so I really don't need much, but I do like instruments like Operator and some of the basic stuff that comes with live.

So, my question is: what exactly is the difference between live and Suite? Which instruments/effects exactly will I not have if I buy Live?
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Kruddler wrote:I'm totally confused.

I downloaded a copy of Ableton Live (demo version). And it has all the stuff that has been mentioned here. E.g. Operator, effects, and so on.

I use Native Instruments Komplete so I really don't need much, but I do like instruments like Operator and some of the basic stuff that comes with live.

So, my question is: what exactly is the difference between live and Suite? Which instruments/effects exactly will I not have if I buy Live?
From ableton.com you won't get the following in the regular version:

Sampler + Operator + Amp + Collision + Tension + Electric + Analog + Drum Machines + Latin Percussio

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Some thoughts on this.

I first bought Live and was fairly happy because I had NI Komplete and didn't need a whole bunch of new instruments. However, I ended up upgradings from the Ableton website for $250 which was fairly cheap. I'm not a huge fan of any of the instruments. But, I can say that they are very simple, straight forward and integrate really well in to the DAW unlike NI instruments for example. I will say though the Operator and Sampler are almost must haves. The reason being that Operator is used in loads of tutorials, and Sampler is a really good simple Sampler. Although it might not have as much raw power as say Kontakt, it's about 15x easier to use.

So, my advice, if you don't need the extra instruments, buy Live. You can always upgrade if you want. If you don't have many of your own VSTs, you might want to buy Suite because you'll have pretty much everything you need from the get go, and the instruments that are there are easy to learn and will take you well in to the future.
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Is there a difference in the warp modes available between Live 8 and LIve 8 suite? Does Live 8 include pro and complex pro?

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:21 am

Steve Glen wrote:Is there a difference in the warp modes available between Live 8 and LIve 8 suite? Does Live 8 include pro and complex pro?
I'm sure that Live 8 & suite 8 are the two versions that feature the complex and pro warp modes. It's the Intro and freebie versions you get with things like Launchpads and 3 rd party hardware that only have the basic versions..