Loops become out of time when start marker is changed?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
tehJESSEH

Loops become out of time when start marker is changed?

Post by tehJESSEH » Wed May 11, 2011 3:24 am

Hey guys,

I have a main drum beat that I want to loop. At the beginning, there are just two snare hits that start off the song. After the two snare hits, I just want to loop the portion after. I can do this by changing the Start Marker to encompass the two snare hits, and the Loop Marker to encompass just the beat that I want to loop. The problem is, my other loops are no longer in time. How can I solve this?

I'm not too too experienced with Live... I don't know if this is right, but what I want to do is quantize my loops to each other rather than the global tempo? How can I line my loops up tempo-wise?

Thanks!

Jesse

longjohns

Re: Loops become out of time when start marker is changed?

Post by longjohns » Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 am

sounds like you want to have a little "pre-roll" section with just the two snares, then have everything start together on the 1?

try splitting the drum loop into two clips, one above the other in the session track. set them to legato mode

name the first scene something which incorporates "2/4" (for time signature, giving you 2 beats) and with a follow action of "next" with timing 0.2.0

you can start clips in scene 2 on other tracks by having 2-beat clips with "next" follow actions too. they can contain silence if nothing else is supposed to accompany the two snare hits

just trying to at least give you a starting point for working this out

colonp

Re: Loops become out of time when start marker is changed?

Post by colonp » Thu May 12, 2011 3:14 am

Do you just have one track with loops you need to keep in time?

I'd set the start point at 1 bar before the portion you want to loop, so when you press play you'll have some silence before the 2 snare hits.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us