How to Warp Time after "Slice to New Midi from warp markers"

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
The ill!

How to Warp Time after "Slice to New Midi from warp markers"

Post by The ill! » Mon May 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey guys,

Had a basic question about drum rack.
Im a big fan of mpc / asr sample chopping.
In ableton its set warp markers > then right click > slice to new midi.

My question is after youve gotten here, built a new instrument in drum rack off of your chopped up audio...
How do I then adjust the tempo that original audio is at?

I know alot of people are going to say decide your tempo before u chop, but that isnt what Im looking for.
I want to chop my pieces, then in real time via midi keyboard knob, find the desired tempo for samples.
This is so in real time I can discover the sweet spot of tempo needs to be.
Does this make sense?

If not here is a quick video I made with an example of what I mean so it easily understood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjbJ87roK4.
Would be so so stoked as Ive been trying to find this answer for months now.
Thank you guys!

-b

yur2die4

Re: How to Warp Time after "Slice to New Midi from warp markers"

Post by yur2die4 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:26 am

Do you only use Simpler or do you use Sampler also??

In Sampler, you can set LFO 2 or LFO 3 to automate the "Loop Start" position. If you have the Loop Start amount at 100%, that basically means, the entire clip's region. The tricky part is having some kind of looping set up in advance. Sustain mode should be the two arrows, Loop Start at the beginning of the clip, Loop End, a small amount after. Maybe a little fading to smooth it out.

When you have the LFO assigned to affect 100% of Loop Start, you make sure that the LFO shape is set to the upward ramp. Then, all you have to do is assign the Rack knob to the Freq parameter of the LFO. That will tell you the duration or amount of time that it takes for the loop start point to go from the Beginning, to the End :)