Running external audio into Live

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
shutthatdaw

Running external audio into Live

Post by shutthatdaw » Tue May 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi All I wonder if some of you more knowledgeable forumites can assist with the following: first the setup running Win7 32bit the rest of the PC system is irrelevant to the problem. I am running an APC40 - Korg Nano Controller - Korg Nanopad and Emu Xboard49 keyboard into the PC via USB. The sound card is an Emu PCI 0404 with audio in and out via jack plugs - MIDI in and out - and SPDIF via co-axial and optical connectors. It also comes with a software mixer called Patchmix.

In addition to this I have a Roland MC-808 Groovebox. This is connected to the soundcard via the MIDI in/out connectors and its audio out to the audio in jacks of the soundcard. I am using the APC40 version of Live.

What I am wanting to do is to control the Groovebox via MIDI with the keyboard and have the audio from it coming into Live so that I can use its sounds and process them via the Ableton processors. Now Live has found all the hardware and it is correctly listed in the audio and MIDI pages of Live. I can play the Groovebox via the keyboard BUT I cannot get the audio into the system, it goes straight through into the Patchmix mixer bypassing the channel strips and out to the speakers.

The problem lies in getting the audio from the Groovebox into Ableton. If anyone can help, it might just save my sanity.

Thank you for reading this

eddiex

Re: Running external audio into Live

Post by eddiex » Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

edit> disregard
i thought you were trying to play the groovebox by programming midi into live....if that was/is what you are trying to do, you need to upgrade to live 8...any lower versions cannot control external instruments/effects....i had the same issue with "intro" trying to control the tempo of a korg electribe.
as far as getting audio from the groovebox into live....you should still be able to do that....have you tried disconnecting the midi and just trying to record from the audio outs of the box into the soundcard...no midi involved....if it still doesn't work it might be your software mixer? just out of curiosity, now that you have live, why are you using the software mixer?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

shutthatdaw

Re: Running external audio into Live

Post by shutthatdaw » Tue May 24, 2011 7:26 pm

eddiex

tks for yr reply. Yes that is what I was trying to do, my thinking MIDI is MIDI and in fact the Groovebox does respond to the keyboard but that is all. For instance if I do a program change on the keyboard the Groovebox does not do anything, so maybe an upgrade to Live is going to be necessary. No I haven't tried just the audio on its own, something else to explore. Regarding the Patchmix software, it is part and parcel of installing the soundcard, I haven't investigated if it can be removed. It does in fact serve a useful purpose in that the Soundcard has built in hardware sound processing so that one can reduce down the processor load by using the hardware effects on the card. Thanks once again.