will Live8 Suite (Boxed) run on both PC and Mac.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Stevejaz

will Live8 Suite (Boxed) run on both PC and Mac.

Post by Stevejaz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi folks,
like a couple of others (or thousands) I'm thinking of taking advantage of the current offer.
Here's the question.
I currently run PC desktop and laptop but am thinking, after a bit of fun with an Ipad, of going to a Mac book (and keeping the PC desktop.)
Will the program run on both?
or
If I have to download a Mac version when I need it, will the DVD instument collection work OK.
I sure hope so.
Another though,
Has anyone been able to use an Ipad as a controller?

dnbhallifax

Re: will Live8 Suite (Boxed) run on both PC and Mac.

Post by dnbhallifax » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm

My bandmates and I use both, I have a Mac and sometimes they start tunes on a PC. The translation from PC to mac works fine, you have VST on both platforms... Mac to PC works, just make sure you use VSTs if you plan on moving a project to a PC.

As far as if Ableton lets you validate both a PC and Mac version I don't know for sure. I would imagine you'll be fine, but I could very well be wrong. You can have Live on 2 machines, I have the same serial running on both my Laptop and Desktop (both Macs though...)

You should email support and see what they say before you buy it. All instruments etc should work just fine and I would imagine the DVD has both PC and Mac installers (I purchased via download...)

An Ipad should work as a controller - IF - there's an App that lets you send MIDI data. The question is, is there? And if so, how are you going to get the MIDI out of the Ipad and into the desktop or laptop?

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for the input.
If I do get a Macbook it wont be that soon. My main interest would be for live backing as a solo performer (guitar/vocals) so by that stage I would probably just use the Macbook anyway. It was more the transition that concerned me and especially with the sounds on disc as they are something I might use alot. I have seen on the forum that VST instruments can cause more problems live and it is better to stick to the Abbleton stuff.
I curently have a Novation Remote 25 SL and a Behringer FCB 1010.
An Ipad could be a cool addition if it could be made to work and I thought I remembered seeing something about using one somewhere, just can't remember where.
Anyway thanks again for your help. I'll go ahead and put my order in.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 am

Your media will install and run on both. Live comes with a license for two installs so you can just go ahead and install it without having to contact Ableton for more unlocks -although you'll have to do this if you reinstall your OS or something.

I usually just go to Ableton's latest versions page though, and pick up the latest installer from there. It's always newer than what I have on my discs.

I did the same thing several months ago - went from Vista to OSX. It worked out great.

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 am

Cool and thanks
Have gone ahead with the order
I have also found quite a bit of info on You tube re Ipad as a controller.
Quite do-able and looks like heaps of fun.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

RE the iPad...

Check out:

- touchAble
- touchOSC
- Griid

I have all 3 and all work great. touchAble is pretty easy to setup and allows you to trigger clips, control track volume, send fx, transport controls and device parameters/eq settings etc. You need a server program from their site for it to work. Griid is the same, just more focused on reliable live play. touchAble is better in a studio I think.

touchOSC requires another server software (rtpMIDI) to be installed (or something else on the mac, I think the OSC communications thing is built in). It allows you to design custom controller layouts for anything. I use it to create page layouts for triggering FX for live sets where I can create labels and marks on all the controls and customise it for different sets. Multi-page AND.... It receives MIDI feedback from Ableton so when you load your project, the controls set themselves . Awesome piece of kit for $5.