Limit an incoming signal, possible?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
td6d

Limit an incoming signal, possible?

Post by td6d » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 am

Hi there,

I've got a zoom H2 mic hooked up via USB but the incoming signal is way to loud (not on the mic itself but in Live)
Is there a way to limit the incoming signal? Just sliding the volume of the track down doesn't work and all effects only work post fader (the fader itself seems post fader, weirdly enough)

Any help appreciated.

Angstrom

Re: Limit an incoming signal, possible?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 am

doesn't the little gain switch on the side of the zoom work in USB mode?
that might be a simple fix, if it works. Setting it to 'low' I mean.

td6d

Post by td6d » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm

It's already on 'Low'. The mic input screen shows its nicely limited but somehow ableton amplifies the signal.
Hence the question of how I can limit the incoming signal :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

there is something amiss.
I have one of these devices, but have never used it as a USB mic (only to field record), so have no direct experience of this exact situation.

However :Any incoming stream of audio is already encoded before it reaches Live. EG: my Fireface has control over the input of signals, so if the Fireface overloads Live can't fix that.

Somewhere there is a software mixer, or a drive which is handling the USB input. Live doesn't do that part, it can only work with what is presented to it, it doesn't control the hardware.
Have a look around for a driver control, a software mixer, or look through the H2's many labyrinthine menus to see if there is a pad setting for the output.

tldr; if Live's getting a too-hot signal as input, there's not much that Live can do about that.