Transfer all my MIDI mappings from one set to another?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ronanconlan

Transfer all my MIDI mappings from one set to another?

Post by ronanconlan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Is there a way?

Also, can I somehow prevent Live from recording automation? Is there a way to easily delete the automation in one go other than having to highlight areas in the arrangement view and click delete? Because that will then delete the bits of audio clips I've just recorded too...

Thanks

luddy

Re: Transfer all my MIDI mappings from one set to another?

Post by luddy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 am

no way to import MIDI mappings.

for automation, you need not delete any audio. if you automate a parameter that wasn't automated previously, there's a little red dot on the parameter, and if you right-click on that, you have the option of deleting all automation of that parameter. in general when you delete automation, you can either use cmd-delete in the audio track itself, or else pull up an automation lane for the param and delete it there so that the audio is not affected.

-Luddy

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Dragging the tracks with the midi mappings into the browser should work; so it saves as a live set, then you can drag it back in other sets. I do that for some external synths.

Best thing to do though is make a template and evolve it from there.
ImageImage

ronanconlan

Post by ronanconlan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 pm

shadx312 wrote:Dragging the tracks with the midi mappings into the browser should work; so it saves as a live set, then you can drag it back in other sets. I do that for some external synths.

Best thing to do though is make a template and evolve it from there.

I tried the first method there, it works, but only for mappings on Live's own plugins. No 3rd party VST mappings are preserved. Oh well.

This is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by "make a template"?

I already have a default set that opens when I select "new live set" etc

The problem I'm facing is that in my band we have shifted to playing to a click from a Live set, and our set contains many, many tempo changes and time sig changes. Not to mention useful location markers.
Since I can't paste a whole arrangement of tempo changes and time sig changes from one set to another, I was hoping I could transfer my hundreds of painstakingly configured MIDI mappings into the set that contains the arrangement (with tempo changes etc)

We can't always create the set containing the tempo changes etc on MY laptop in my template live set which already has all the mappings - it's just not practical

I suppose the solution will be to somehow use the laptop with the set with the tempo changes to control the transport and tempo of my laptop's instance of Ableton. That way everything will probably take care of itself and I can just use my template set.
I should probably make a new thread to ask about that though.

luddy

Post by luddy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:14 am

ronanconlan wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Dragging the tracks with the midi mappings into the browser should work; so it saves as a live set, then you can drag it back in other sets. I do that for some external synths.

I tried the first method there, it works, but only for mappings on Live's own plugins.
Hmm, I've never witnessed Live restoring any MIDI mappings from clips that are dragged to the browser. I just tried it in 8.2.2, with a MIDI track containing Operator and EQ8, with a bunch of the controls of those two plugs mapped to MIDI controls. I dragged the track to the browser, and when I create a new (empty) Live set and drag the track back into it, there are no MIDI mappings at all. Is there a way to do this that I don't know about?

The OP's problem is a tough one because tempo and signature changes in the arrangement timeline, on the one hand, and MIDI mappings on the other, are two things that Live can't import. Well, Live *can* import tempo and signature changes from an ordinary MIDI file (.mid), but it does not seem to export tempo and signature changes to a MIDI file when doing an "Export MIDI Clip", so that doesn't give you a way of moving tempo and signature changes from one Live Set to another, I think.

-Luddy