Apc40 and clip view

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
livemaster

Apc40 and clip view

Post by livemaster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi guys
Correct me if i'm wrong.
I want to acess the clip view with the Apc 40 of every clip that is playing in order to change the loop start and end points on the fly without touching the mouse or the computer keyboard.This means i want to only use the Apc 40 to do it.I thought that only I had to do was to select the track on the track selection part below the matrix ,select the clip on this very same matrix and then toggle the button clip/track on the " device control" field to acess the wave form that shows and then establish the loop points.But apparently I can only do it if I have only one clip per audio track.As soon as I have more than one and I start moving around going from one track and one clip view to the other I can only have acess to the clip view by using the mouse(double clicking).When I go back to a clip -that when it was the only one in the track I could open with the buttons of the Apc40 - I get the reply No clip selected and I can only open it with the mouse.
Or am I doing something wrong?Is it supposed to be like that?Can Max for Live solve the problem?Thanks for you help.

yur2die4

Re: Apc40 and clip view

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 pm

It is a pain in the butt. The closest things are either using arrow keys (you need to make sure the clip launch area is highlighted though), or the 'select on launch', which really only lets you use the most recently launched clip. I just realized though that assigning the Cue knob to Scene select may help a little. If you find anything, let me know :)

deevey

Post by deevey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:47 am

I Mapped my top and bottom Scene Launch buttons to Scroll up/down the selected channel to be able to access clips without mouse, Yep you could also use the encoder, I found it just too sensitive when I tried it TBH.

Also using Midikey application to emulate Keyboard shortcuts on certain keys e.g. Nudge also sends cmd+0 for Global Quantize off, while the Grid sends a 1/4 quantize.... there might be other shortcuts to do what you want easier.

Wont suit everyone mind you, but I really don't want to have many of the "danger" buttons (Scene start/ Clip Stop / Play/ Start / Rec) available for DJ'ing purposes and have remapped some to "dummy devices" or set them to not dangerous functions.

We could really do with a "reselect" option on clips with Automated trigger and select ... for example.

Clip 1 button : Hit once = play / selected
Clip 2 button: Hit once = play / selected

Back to Clip 1 button : Hit once = select
Clip 1 button : Hit twice within specified time (like double click on a mouse) = restart
Clip 1 Repeated tapping on a newly triggered clip = repeated triggered clip

Does that make sense ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Livemaster,

My Isotonik device in Max4live does exactly this and much more...

You can select a waveform for a clip using the apc without launching it and set loops without the the clip even being in view....

Cheers
D

ps click below for details....

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 pm

I uh, feel like a moron. I forgot that you can midi map the "Track Status" display on each channel :) That help much??

martinlektra

Post by martinlektra » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Sorry guys, do we have a simple technique for that finally? I'm not sure about "you can midi map the "Track Status" display"... can somebody explain. Thanks a lot!

--UPDATE--

I find a way while midi mapping the "track status" button (the little chart pie/leghth button) to my Track Selection buttons. That way I can select the clip that is playing even if it's not on the same row.

It's working fine but the Track Selection buttons leds are not lighted anymore. Any way to resolve this?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:07 am

It's not worth the effort, you need 8 additional midi tracks...

Cheers
D

martinlektra

Post by martinlektra » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:14 am

S4racen wrote:It's not worth the effort, you need 8 additional midi tracks...

Cheers
D
Explain?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 am

Midi mapping loses all lighting functionality so you have to send midi back to the apc40' each column of buttons is a separate midi channel, so you'll need eight tracks.....

Cheers
D

martinlektra

Post by martinlektra » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:17 pm

S4racen wrote:Midi mapping loses all lighting functionality so you have to send midi back to the apc40' each column of buttons is a separate midi channel, so you'll need eight tracks.....

Cheers
D
There's no step-by-step tutorial on how to do that?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Not that I'm aware of, make a midi track that outputs to the apc on channel one and make a clip that sends notes to it, google for the protocol document for the notes to send or do it by trial and error, then set the clip to be mapped to the track select button with seven blank clips below mapped to the other 7, repeat another seven times with separate midi tracks, group them at the end to save space....

Cheers
D