Why is this happening?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
zsklar

Why is this happening?

Post by zsklar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Every so often as I am building a song, I load a new VST in a track and the volume slider in the VST, no matter which VST it is, jumps down. Even when I move the volume slider back up, it just jumps down again.

Has this ever happened to anyone, or could someone shed some light what could be causing this? I've never experienced this before and have used Live since the beginning.

I'm on windows xp and using the latest version of Ableton suite.

yur2die4

Re: Why is this happening?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm

How many MIDI controllers do you have??

It sounds to me like your CC# 07 on a controller is interrupting. It could be on ANY of your controllers, and it sounds like it is either updating regularly, or you are bumping into it. It can be anything from a knob, fader, to a pad. Or something completely different. Usually keyboards with only a pitchbend, mod wheel, and ONE slider, have that slider assigned to 07.

Any external synths/samplers may interfere too, if your Ableton Live has it's "Remote" input turned on in the MIDI Prefs.

zsklar

Post by zsklar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I have an Akai APC 40 and Akai MPK49 as my controllers.

I also have NI Maschine, but am just using that as a vst.

Any ideas how to keep this from happening???

Thanks again!

- Zach

zsklar

Post by zsklar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 pm

after a little more experimenting, it's not just the volume, it's any nob or slider I move on any vst and it moves to a certain positio. When I go to move it again, it just jumps back to that position.

VERY STRANGE!!!

Any clues?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Are you using the MPK49 as a Control Surface? with the custom knob mappings?

A neat feature for vst's in Live, is that it gives you instant control of the last parameter that you've adjusted on a vst. If you for instance, tweak something on a vst, then adjust the first knob on your APC40, you would in theory have instant control over it.

Of course, the APC40 is smart. So the other two controllers could be the culprit.

With the MPK49, you would probably need to be using some kind of Control Surface.

With the Maschine, it would depend on if you have the MIDI options configured, and which template you have it set to. Even if you are only using Maschine as a vst, if you have your midi options in Live set for certain things, Maschine runs it's MIDI program in the background. Once again, you would have to be using it as some kind of control surface for it to influence your controls like that. Also it would depend on which page you had for that midi.

btw, I love Maschine so hard hahahaha

vanil2

Post by vanil2 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:00 am

Try to put your midi in text mode and verify that you dont have a "Volume off" or "Sound off" as the first line of your midi clip, if yes remove it, because everytime you restart the clip, the midi commands will bring your sound to zero value