Whats easiest way of muting little bits of audio on tracks

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
RD444

Whats easiest way of muting little bits of audio on tracks

Post by RD444 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:08 am

Whats the easiest way of muting little bits of audio on tracks

i used to use cubase

on cubase i would have 2 or 3 elements playing

i would want to try out how those elements would sound switching between

so what i'd do is this
i go the part and CTRL click it a certain way in from the start say 1/8 with the scissors
this function would cut the part into equal 8th parts (very good)
(the part size would be calculated from the distance from the start of the part to where i cut)

I would do this with say 3 parts playing at the same time and and mute off bits to try variations
on cubase mute tool =7 delete=3
so hitting 3 or 7 to change tool i could quickly mute or delete the small sections i didn't want

How can i do this on Ableton live?
is there a hot key for disable part (or do i have to use the drop down menu every time?

are volume envelopes the only way to do this sort of thing fast?

any tips welcome
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

eddiex

Re: Whats easiest way of muting little bits of audio on tracks

Post by eddiex » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:34 am

you can midi map the mute buttons on all your tracks(the box with the track number in it, in case you don't know) ...im not sure what you are rocking as far as a midi controller....you can do it with your computer key board like this.
at the top right hand corner of LIVE, click the button that says "key".... everything that is midi mappable will turn orange....click on your track number then click a key on your keyboard...for example click on track 1 then hit the letter "a" on your keyboard... track 2-"s" track 3- "d" and so on....now you can listen to your looping jams and mute when you want by hitting the letters on your keyboard.
or you can use subtractive arrangement in the arrangement view....heres how....do your clips in the session view.... make them all like 4 or 8 bar loops....then drag them over to the arrangement view by clicking and holding the clip and hitting tab to take you into arrangement view then drop them in their respective track (or you can just globally record all your clips at once for a hundred bars or something.) if you just drag them over....... duplicate every clip for how ever many bars you think you want your song to last for......then midi map the mute buttons on the arrangement view how i described above....then play your song muting where you want to mute, using the newly mapped keys on your keyboard....if something muted sounds good, just select that section of the track and delete it....if you want to get real pimp with it, you can make a template with 8 tracks or something like that....midi map the mute keys etc. then in LIVE's PREFERENCES the FILE FOLDER you can SAVE CURRENT SET AS DEFAULT.....so you won't have to midi map all of your stuff the time.....every time you open live, it will be ready to go.....not sure if this is the answer you wanted, but it is how i would do it....good luck
Last edited by eddiex on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 am

theres number of ways to reach the goal your doing

you can create an instrument rack with a chain of instruments, and then select 'chain' then midi map to the chain select ruler, and you can automate which instruments play at what time

oh but thats if they are midi tracks

Dominga

Post by Dominga » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 am

What i do is : Right click on clip header, deactivate clip(s)

RD444

Post by RD444 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:26 pm

cheers guys

so theres no easy way then

mapping mute buttons is ok until you record over it again the mute mappings stay flashing

recording automation is ok until it loops round then it erases everything

deactivate clip is the best idea, but live forgot to include a shortcut key? (i searched and there are posts going back ages on this - ie no shortcut key for activate/deactivate clip)

i wrote to Ableton about it

I'm starting to realise that they probably aren't going to include a shortcut key.
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 pm

I would edit the desired audio in Arrangement and edit one of the envelopes of the Track/Mixer settings (There's at least a couple you could use, more if you have fx on the track.)

Then use your pencil (CTRL-B) tool and draw the envelope, set the grid how you want it and mute the sections that way.
ImageImage

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 pm

i use the pencil tool to automate the volume in the clips. you can mute the audio down to zero in whatever note division you need quickly
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

RD444

Post by RD444 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 pm

cheers guys, its seems like the best way of doing this method of muting :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 pm

memes_33 wrote:i use the pencil tool to automate the volume in the clips. you can mute the audio down to zero in whatever note division you need quickly
do this and in Clip View hit the 'unlink envelope' button and you can get the type of quick mutes in the way I think you described.

if I get you, make the envelope really short, like 1/4 note with 1/8 of it muted.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz