APC40 Remote Scripting/Hacking

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jamielambe

APC40 Remote Scripting/Hacking

Post by jamielambe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi guys, been having issues with this for a while and I've read about Python, Bomes, Katapult, M4L, OSC and just plain Ableton but with so much information and existing templates constantly cropping up I really don't know where to start on my own so I thought I'd ask you all for some help with an idea I have for a template including Ableton, an APC40, Reason and a Remote SL25.

My ideal template would be something that I could jam on using synths, drum machines and effects etc, whilst having the ability to DJ. Therefore, I've got some ideas which I think would be pretty good but I have no idea what the best way to implement them all would be or whether it's even possible... Thoughts on possible ways to do it later but here is my rough outline.

Not ALL these features are necessary but I'd like to get an idea of what is/isn't possible/efficient before I start...

---DJ Part (thinking of using different 'pages' for funcionality)
Four tracks set up as 'decks' - effects combos (think Midifighter from DJTechTools), dedicated buttons to turn on different effects. Device controls control these. EQ's, Filters, (possibly Spectral Imager device too)
Cue point programming on the fly for juggling
Looping. Loop Recorder might be a way round this.
'Loop Recorder' with ability to predefine length of the loop, choose which cell it's going to be recorded into and then choose loop on/off, follow actions and record next. Possibly on same 'page' as the cue point page. Buttons lit to represent cue points and loop length.
Loop slicer, similar to NativeKontrol, possibility of selecting length of slice and then rearranging slices on the fly (Extremely slim I know...)
Anything else which is good... There's the possibility of using Traktor for this part, coming in through soundflower to Ableton but then I'd only have one channel for Traktor, and I'd need to find a way of defining when the APC is controlling Traktor and when it's controlling Ableton.

---Production/Jamming part
4 tracks representing Bass, Lead, Drums and Pads. Sounds come from Reason (if possible) being controlled by the Remote SL.
User template for the Remote SL to control parameters of the synths that can change their character quickly and well (eg. being able to go from preset to preset, but ALSO being able to take a simple sine bass line for example and program an electro house one in on the fly) - This mapping of the controls on Reason is definitely possible I think.
Combinators controlled by Remote SL.
Step sequencer with ability to send MIDI to Reason (or possibly just using VSTs inside Ableton) - similar to Joey Paranoias.
Step sequencer has a 'loop mode' which changes clip stop buttons from showing position of sequencer into slots to save patterns (like NativeKontrol)
Patterns can then be sent to cell of choice using navigation buttons (possibly shift + bank?)
Cut/Copy/Paste controls allowing MIDI data to be moved to other MIDI tracks
MIDI effects (arp, chord, scale etc.) with dedicated MIDI controls... possibly fit in dedicated Audio/Midi effects using the 9 banks on the track select buttons?!
Clip slicer similar to one mentioned in DJ part.

Basically I want to be able to DJ 'traditionally', but also be able to use bits of controllerism too and jam over the top if I get a bit of inspiration. As I mentioned, I'm not expecting to be able to implement everything, and there may be better ways of doing this but that's why I'm here...

I've toyed with the idea of learning Python to write a super duper remote script but that's extremely long - especially without any prior coding knowledge. I know Joey Paranoia made his step sequencer/massive looper using only Ableton but I'm not sure that this would be possible for the FX combos and some other features I have in mind. If anyone reads articles on DJTechTools... I'm thinking of MidiFighter style FX in Ableton - probably not going to happen though! M4L is not really an option due to cost PLUS the fact that if a lot of people liked the idea for this then it would make more sense for as many people to be able to have it as possible.

Bomes however IS a possibility but does anyone know why something like MidiKatapult isn't available for the APC?! From what I've seen of the Launchpad this sounds pretty good.

Anyway, sorry if it's a bit impossible/convoluted but if bits of it are doable, I'd like to know how!

Cheers

jonnyH

Re: APC40 Remote Scripting/Hacking

Post by jonnyH » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 pm

hi there. i have 2 control scripts and a vst that may help you. and they are all free!
have you seen hanz petrov's remote scripts for the apc 40?

remotescripts

it gives you 6 pages of grid you can assign to do anything you want by editing the grid cc map and grid color layout. also you get undo/redo, user assignable pages of faders/knobs, a step sequencer, and more, all without m4l.
i use this to control my live set with clyphx:

clyphx

clyphx can access the live api and can do just about anything. it also includes macrobat, which is another whole can of tricks.

and midi2qwerty16 for triggering keystrokes/shortcuts from my apc40.

midi2qwerty

this can be a lot to think about to get everything to work the way you want, and it's only a start. the beat juggling stuff is difficult with the setup i've described. but the above lets you dj with the apc like you normally would, and be able to switch over to drum pads, step sequencer, and your decks of effects. for example, i have one page of my grid set up to trigger vocal effects, one to navigate around my set, one for setting record quantization and launch quantization, etc.
a lot of the process of setting up the rest of what you want to do will probably involve clever instrument/effect/midi racks and midi mapping.
best of luck, this whole controller setup thing can drive you crazy, and takes away from valuable music making time!
yours.
j
Only sick music makes money today.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jamielambe

Post by jamielambe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Absolutely brilliant! I'll get onto checking these all out, cheers man. Yeh I know it's annoying... Just want something that fits my style but it takes forever to get it all sorted! Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with this gold mine haha

Cheers,

J

jamielambe

Post by jamielambe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Jonny, is it possible to use Cliphx in conjunction with Hanz's remote script, or would you need to integrate them into a single Python one?

J

elementv

Post by elementv » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 am

Check out aumha's stuff, I've been using his monomod scripts for a while http://aumhaa.blogspot.com/

jamielambe

Post by jamielambe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks element, but I don't have max and unfortunately can't afford it either :(

Does anybody know anything about Midi and clip automation, particularly the sort used in Aurex's templates, and how to learn how to do it?!