midi control effects parameters versus clip parameters

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ian_halsall

midi control effects parameters versus clip parameters

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Is it possible to assign midi controllers to the highlighted clip's track in session mode?

I have assigned some midi controllers to sample pitch etc. which work on the currently highlighted track's clip but I haven't been able to do the same with controllers mapped to for instance the cutoff frequency of the auto filter effect.

In this case I have had to assign a separate controller to each channel/track's auto filter if I want them to operate on each channel separately.

thanks

Warrior Bob

Re: midi control effects parameters versus clip parameters

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 am

I don't think you can do this directly, but using User Remote Scripts you can work around it. Basically you write a script to say, for example, "CC11 on this controller maps to the first knob of the selected device". Then you can use Device Racks to make macro knobs for all the parameters you want to use like this.

Personally, I find the whole thing a bit awkward so I haven't ever done this myself, but it is possible.

Hope this helps.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 pm

But then don't you have to move the macro knobs with the mouse because you cannot save midi controller assignments with the racks???

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:45 pm

You can't save MIDI mappings with presets, but using the remote scripts it is possible to have 8 knobs/faders/whatever control the first 8 parameters of the currently selected device.

So, you can make your script, select the rack with the mouse (or use the quick MIDI mapping to map that device to some controller), and then your knobs will automatically control that device's 8 macro knobs since racks define the macro knobs as the first 8 parameters.

For several known MIDI controllers, there exist mappings that Ableton has already created, which you can get to in the Control Surface area of MIDI Preferences. Many of these do map 8 knobs/faders like this, so if you have one of these controllers you can get away with it without having to write a script.

For example, I have a Behringer BCR2000, so I can select "BCR2000" as my control surface in MIDI preferences and the top row of knobs will turn the macro knobs on any rack I select, no further mapping necessary! I find it really useful.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:57 am

Cool - thanks for the tip!