My Live Launchpad edition has alot more presets today...?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Jome7

My Live Launchpad edition has alot more presets today...?

Post by Jome7 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 am

I have been using Live Lite M-Audio edition since around this time last year, until I bought a Launchpad around the end of last year. Since then, I have been using the Launchpad edition. Today when going to put a instrument on a midi track I see that there are suddenly long lists of instrument presets in the categories. I am thinking that either these must be available now for some reason, somehow, or I have been using a version that was extra limited or something and is now unlocked to be the full version of Lite, or something?

For example, in the Synth Bass category, there are normally 7 presets by default: Acid, Addictive Feedback, Big Modules, Epic Bass, Foog M1, Psyanalog Square Bass, and Smoked Analog. I know what presets I had before, since I had taken screen captures of the categories to ask a question about the Launchpad edition having different instruments and presets etc, in case they were different and would have a problem opening any projects. But now when I open the Synth Bass category there is a long list of presets there.

I don't know what happened, so I un-installed Live Launchpad edition and re-installed it from the disc. The long list that wasn't there before is still there, so I deleted the library folder from my external audio drive, which wasn't plugged in when I re-installed. Then I downloaded and installed Live Launchpad edition 8.2.2 from Ableton(I had 8.2.1 before that). But it's no use, there are still these long lists of instruments there.

Not that I can really complain I guess, but I want to make sure that there is nothing wrong going on here. Any ideas?
http://www.buythis.ecrater.com/
eBay user name: cbrducati

cotdagoo

Re: My Live Launchpad edition has alot more presets today...?

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Can't remember which version/beta they changed the behaviour of presets, but as far as I know any presets that are made using locked/un-owned devices (Operator, Electric, Analog, etc..) are now available to playback for installs of Live, Live Lite, etc..

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't get how the presets could change without me updating or anything like that. I don't use Live when connected to the internet and like I said, I just opened up that program and went to use it like normal, and there was all of these presets there that weren't there before, I don't know why. I also didn't update to 8.2.2 until after this happened and after I un-installed the previous version I was using, which was 8.2.1.

So if what you are saying is true, which doesn't sound right, is that somehow locked/un-owned presets suddenly became available to me and that everyone that doesn't own those devices can now use the presets for them. Why would anyone buy them or upgrade then?

I should also mention that I have been deleting the temporary files and crash reports, etc from the ableton AppData folder after closing the program since I have been having a problem with the program crashing when going from one project to another and when closing the program. But not before I back them all up on my external audio drive. And the effects and tracks are still limited to 8, so it's not that the full version has been unlocked somehow without my knowledge, just that there was many more presets than have always been there before.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Jome7 wrote:I don't get how the presets could change without me updating or anything like that. I don't use Live when connected to the internet and like I said, I just opened up that program and went to use it like normal, and there was all of these presets there that weren't there before, I don't know why. I also didn't update to 8.2.2 until after this happened and after I un-installed the previous version I was using, which was 8.2.1.
Ahh, I thought they showed up after updating and maybe you hadn't noticed them possibly.
Jome7 wrote: So if what you are saying is true, which doesn't sound right, is that somehow locked/un-owned presets suddenly became available to me and that everyone that doesn't own those devices can now use the presets for them. Why would anyone buy them or upgrade then?
From my understanding there were presets showing up that be unable to use if you didn't own the device/instrument. Then people complained that they shouldn't show up if you couldn't use them, and Ableton changed this behaviour in one of the past few versions/revisions to allow a bunch of presets to be used - I always assumed it would be to entice users by showing them what these suite devices sound like but not allow modification beyond basic pre-designated macros.

Not sure if you should just be happy, or if this is expected behaviour given the recent change..

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:35 am

I tried one of them on a midi track and was able to play it on my keyboard, but I don't want to use them if they should not be available in Live Lite and Launchpad edition.