how2record full song when live sends midinotes2rewireslav

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
esaruoho

how2record full song when live sends midinotes2rewireslav

Post by esaruoho » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi, I've got a track made with Ableton Live. It uses Renoise as ReWire Slave. Ableton Live sends midinotes to Renoise to control which pattern it is playing. When I go to Export Audio/Video, it does record Ableton Live + ReWire - but the midinotes which control which pattern Renoise plays, are not sent to Renoise. How do I record the song so that it fully works? :)

Warrior Bob

Re: how2record full song when live sends midinotes2rewireslav

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Before you export, make new tracks and record the output of Renoise there. Then, take Renoise out of the loop completely and render the output of Ableton using that track in place of Renoise's realtime output.

I *think* that should do it.

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:22 am

Warrior Bob wrote:Before you export, make new tracks and record the output of Renoise there. Then, take Renoise out of the loop completely and render the output of Ableton using that track in place of Renoise's realtime output.

I *think* that should do it.
Yes, this would be one way of doing it, but unfortunately recording 15 tracks to audiofiles is not an option. Is there some other way of doing this - other than using resampling (ended up arming a track for resampling and using that to record both Live+Renoise outputs into one wavefile.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeah, that's basically what I was describing. After thinking about it for a while, what I probably should have said (since it would've been less confusing) was "Resample the output from Renoise within Live."

While technically this does create more audio files, I'm not sure how that would be "not an option." It's not like you need to manually manage those files.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the matter too much! At any rate, hopefully you've worked out some kind of solution now.

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:Yeah, that's basically what I was describing. After thinking about it for a while, what I probably should have said (since it would've been less confusing) was "Resample the output from Renoise within Live."

While technically this does create more audio files, I'm not sure how that would be "not an option." It's not like you need to manually manage those files.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the matter too much! At any rate, hopefully you've worked out some kind of solution now.

i was somehow hoping there'd be a second solution for this, since somehow resampling a whole track into ableton live somehow feels a bit like it wouldn't necessarily be what a render would do?

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 pm

As far as I know it should be identical (assuming you don't mess with the mixer section for your resampling track). Rewire is returning digital audio, and Live is capturing the same. I don't think it'd incur any change. Rendering is just writing audio data to a file instead of sending it out to your soundcard.

If there are any Ableton developers reading, could they chime in on this? I'd be interested to know if it all works how I've described. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't create the same result, but if I'm mistaken I don't want to be giving bad advice.