Routing 4 separate tracks through a mixer- how to set up?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
coogsy

Routing 4 separate tracks through a mixer- how to set up?

Post by coogsy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:57 am

Audio routing question for y'all.

I have Ableton, and APC 40, laptop, 2 CDJs, 2 1200s and a 4-channel DJM 600.

What I want to do is have one of each CDJ and 1200 to each channel, but then also have 4 tracks of ableton routed through the same 4 channels (using the phono/line switch to flick between).  That would allow me to trigger Ableton trackes, then control them using either the APC 40 or the DJM 600

Question is- what is the routing configuration I would use to do this, and what kind of soundcard would I need to do it?

Cheers

m.o

Re: Routing 4 separate tracks through a mixer- how to set up?

Post by m.o » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 am

I imagine there might be two ways;

1. Run everything like you would normally, get a USB soundcard with 2 line outs (L/R) and plug that into a line in on your mixer, this is pretty much what you describe.
You'd need a USB soundcard with minimum 2 line outs (don't be fooled to think that 'lines' they talk about in the specs are stereo), you'll probably want one with ASIO drivers so that your latency triggering stuff on the APC isn't horrible. Maybe somthing like ESI UGM96.
Then a cable 2x 1/4" tele to whatever jack is in your mixer.

2. Run your CDJs and 1200's first into your computer, through Ableton (where you can add and control effects etc), then out back to your mixer.
This would requre a sound interface with 8 lines in (4 x L/R) and 10 lines out (+2 for the ableton generated stuff). You're probably looking at a firewire card for many 100's if not 1000's of dollars.
You might have to add a firewire card to your PC.
This is probably overkill :)

I'm certainly no expert, this is just my thoughts.