Connecting/Installing a behringer xenyx 802 mixer on mac

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djgoldenmonkey

Connecting/Installing a behringer xenyx 802 mixer on mac

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to connect this thing for a long time now, was wondering if anyone has connected a xenyx to ableton in mac os. I am either told to get asio drivers for mac (which I can't find and don't understand) or people say that Core audio and mac's internal audio drivers are good enough. My mac will recognize sound from the mixer, but I don't know how to get ableton to recognize the mixer, and work with the sound.

If anyone has any information that can be diluted so i will understand that would be awesome. If anyone can give me a step by step instruction to set it up that would be even better.

Cheers,
Alex

Warrior Bob

Re: Connecting/Installing a behringer xenyx 802 mixer on mac

Post by Warrior Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 am

The Xenyx series are mixers. They are not audio interfaces.

Mixers merge audio signals together. So if you've got a microphone, plus a couple of other devices and you want their output combined so you can go to the same set of speakers (or something like that), that's where you'd use a mixer.

An audio interface is a fancy word for "soundcard." Its purpose is to get sound signals in and out of a computer using a program like Live. You'll need drivers for an audio interface (and Apple's Core Audio will work out of the box with many of them).

If you've already got, as you said, your mac "recognizing" sound from the mixer, I presume that means that you've connected the mixer output to your mac's inputs. No further setup is necessary - now you can have several different devices plugged into your Xenyx, and the combined output can be recorded into something like Live. You can use the preamps on the mixer to bring a microphone up to a listenable level for Live to record with. But Live will not recognize the mixer, nor any of the controls or separate channels on the mixer, because the mixer isn't handling digital data - just pure audio signals.

You can also use it the other way around: you can connect the OUTPUT of Live, from your mac, to one of the inputs on the Xenyx. Now you can combine Live's output with some other device (drum machine? DJ deck? microphone?) and go out to the same set of speakers.

I know this is a lot of words, but hopefully it was some help to you! Post if you have any questions and someone can help you out. Best of luck and enjoy your new equipment.

djgoldenmonkey

Re: Connecting/Installing a behringer xenyx 802 mixer on mac

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Thank you warrior bob, very informative

And btw for anyone else with similar problems i just figured it out recently.

very simple!

just go into the Audio Midi Setup app, and turn on the IAC drivers, when i did that, THEN Live recognized the mixer as an IAC driver in the preferences, and now i can record from a mic or my bass guitar or whatever else.