Assigning midi shortcut to a track SLOT, not an individual

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
palewine

Assigning midi shortcut to a track SLOT, not an individual

Post by palewine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Is there any way to assign certain sliders on my midi controller to a universal track slot (such as track 3), rather than an individual track (such as "drums")?? It seems like you really SHOULD be able to do this, but I can't find a way.

What happens is that I'll have, say, my drum track as track #3. But then at some point I'll want to move it farther down (so maybe it's track #4 now) and put another vocal track in its place. Now my assigned sliders on my midi controller are out of whack. The 3rd slider is corresponding to the 4th track.

Any ideas??
Any help much appreciated!

yur2die4

Re: Assigning midi shortcut to a track SLOT, not an individual

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:37 am

What kind of controller are you using?

I'd suggest either looking into the 'control surface' options or 'user remote script'.

Good luck!

palewine

Post by palewine » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 am

Good question. I'm using an Alesis QX49. You know, what's funny is that it was bundled with Ableton Lite in the box... and yet it's not one the supported controllers in Ableton's preferences. Go figure!

As for control surfaces and user remote script, what options are you referring to? I know about the control surfaces options in the "midi sync" preference page, but are there others?

Would user remote script allow me to assign my sliders to tracks that don't exist yet? So, let's say I have 10 sliders and only 4 tracks in my song... when I create a new, 5th track, I'd love it if my slider #5 instantly started working for it without me having to go in and assign everything for each track?

palewine

Post by palewine » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Woohoo! After mucking around all over, I came across this tutorial. Still had to figure some things out for my QX49 (like to set the global channel at 0 instead of 1 like it appeared to be in Live)

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/a ... s-control/

I'm a very happy camper now! Hope this helps someone else too...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:04 am

Glad you figured it out :D

Tibo2004

Post by Tibo2004 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 pm

@ palewine

How does the Alesis QX 49 keyboard interact with live ?
- When the blue hand is on a device, can you instantly control the eight parameters?
- Are the sliders controlling the first 8 tracks (level)? is there a way to "scroll" to control the following 8 tracks?

Thank you in advance, thinking about buying this keyboard but I dont find many reviews about it...

cheers,
--------------

palewine

Post by palewine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Get it. It's a fabulous value for what you get.

Yes, it works fine as a controller for live, with the blue hand and everything instantly being controlled.

As for more than 8 tracks I don't know because I only have Live Lite! Waiting for 9 to roll around before I jump into the full version ;)