Crashing with the Launchpad

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Protoplanetdisko

Crashing with the Launchpad

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 am

Hi guys,

Most of the times that I use the Novation launchpad, it makes Live crash. I then have to unplug it and the program continues normally.

Could it be that my launchpad is faulty, or is it a bug/problem with the program? I use version 8.2.2.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ivar

sporkles

Re: Crashing with the Launchpad

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 am

I have a similar problem, but slightly worse, I dare say. If I do some quick button presses on the LP, my entire computer freezes up completely, and I have to do a hard reboot. In other words, my Launchpad has been completely unused for about half a year. :evil:

I'd like to try a completely fresh start, clean install, but I don't know how to remove all traces of the LP from my computer (if I plug it into a new USB port, it installs as 5-Launchpad, or something like that, meaning that I've already installed it four times previously.

Protoplanetdisko

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm

That is a shame...but i believe if you uninstall Ableton completely and install it again, the problem should go.

I will do it this weekend and see what happens. I had installed various versions and updated online several times, and I guess that might the reason.

We must a find a way out of this, otherwise it is pointless to use the LP on a live performance!

Thanks for your feedback :)

HorusProject

Post by HorusProject » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

bloody hell i was thinking of getting one and this is putting me off. how common is this problem?
Kaon Flux

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Tried my launchpad out for first time tonight, seemed great for about 30mins, then suddenly it stopped responding....later the effects in what was an extremely small new live project, started to glitch and distort. Hope this isn't the tale of things to come, only just got brand new lappy, already a few issues after a complete fresh install of w7 x64 on a 2 day old i7 with 8gb ram >..<

Protoplanetdisko

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:17 pm

hmmm

not very positive feedbacks about the LP, which is putting me off a bit...

I am having to use my Yamaha keyboard as an emergency midi controller for Live for the performance I am preparing.

I will upgrade to the version that ShelLuser suggested and see what happens. Thanks for that Shel!

Keeps us updated MusicIsMath, and anyone else who's found anything different from what's been said here.

Many thanks.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 am

Made use of the launchpad the other day, gave it a good work out. 6hours running random clips and hitting buttons, 1 hour with ableton on and launchpad powered up via usb with nothing running at all, program didn't stall when I started to play about with it again. Seems like it was pretty stable. Will have a further blast with it on weekend with band and see how it goes.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 pm

^ Lucky devil. I, on the other hand, had my entire computer freeze (again!); all I did, was plug in the Launchpad, start Automap, and pick a preset (I was going to use it with Traktor, as I'd only had trouble when using it with Live previously). This is all so incredibly frustrating. I sent Novation a support request yesterday, but I don't have my hopes up. Maybe things will get better when Automap 4 is ready, but I'm not holding my breath. I find the whole concept more and more annoying.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 pm

HorusProject wrote:bloody hell i was thinking of getting one and this is putting me off. how common is this problem?

8.1.4 + Novation Nocturn Automation Problems

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145913

Ableton Live 8.2.2 Automap 3.7b1 (automation is jerky)
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165099

Protoplanetdisko

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't know Pencilrocket, but there must be a way to find out what really causes this crash.

MusicIsMath, how was the rehearsal with the band?

I haven't had time to try out all that has been recommended as I'd rather leave my plan B prepared in case I get myself booked a gig soon. I'll try to focus on this on the weekend.

Question: if I uninstall the Live 8 version I've got, and install the lauchpad edition, will that help?

Cheers!

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Spent most of my time sorting out the monitoring for the rest of the band >..< only problem with being the techy nerd also lol.
For what I used of it, it worked well, some things I noticed that I would have to work around or work a different way for live use, but so far so good. I've messed about with it multiple times over the past few days, hasn't locked up or crashed on me (other than problems with vsts, which i've posted another thread for)

Protoplanetdisko

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Cheers MusicIsMath!

So you seem to have found a solution to the problem you were having before.

What have you done differently that stopped it from crashing?

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Other than avoid dragging clips from session to browser, or perhaps wiping the preferences file, i'm not sure lol.

Really should spend more time working on it but in a bit of a funk at the mo, so gonna chill n watch a film or something :)

Protoplanetdisko

Post by Protoplanetdisko » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 pm

So you should!

I am still preparing the gig using my synth/midi controller, and want to be spot on with that before I try different things with the LP. I'll update this once I discover something new, or not!

Thanks very much for your feedback :D

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Awoooops! Looks like I've found my problem: a faulty USB port! :oops: To my defence: how should I know? - The same port works fine, with up to four other controllers hubbed into it! But neither the Launchpad nor my Audio Kontrol 1 will work on that port. Weird, but I'm glad I can use the Launchpad again.