Ableton 8.2.6 needs a health check.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
The Philosopher King

Ableton 8.2.6 needs a health check.

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm getting a lot of crashes.

In a bid to get 'some' work done I'm breaking one of my Live Sets into smaller sub-sets. Trying to anyway.

The idea:

My Live Set seems to be running into memory issues and crashing at the drop of a hat.

Proposed solution:

I'll make a number of smaller sets out of the unstable set. So, for example, all keyboards will be dragged from the unstable set into a new sub-set. All drums will be dragged from the unstable set into a new drums sub-set etc.

The reality:

(a) So I make a new set. I drag a MIDI file from the unstable set (containing 4front True Pianos) into the new keyboard sub-set. So far, so good. No problems.
(b) I drag a MIDI file containing a Synth VST into the new sub-set. So far, so good. No problems.
(c) I drag a MIDI file containing a Kontakt 4 (monster staccatos) into the new sub-set. It plays ok near the beginning of the arrangement. About half way through, Ableton has a seizure and locks up completely. The audio system gets totally messed up and the only way forward is a restart.

This is a very small amount of data. How on earth could this be too much for Ableton to cope with? Three lanes and boom ... end of session. Is there some obvious setting that I might have overlooked?

Windows 7.
Ableton 8.2.6
Roland Quad-Capture
Novation Nocturn 49
Automap

The Philosopher King

Re: Ableton 8.2.6 needs a health check.

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Well, I have no idea where this is going but out of sheer frustration, I've been testing Reaper. 8O

I eventually managed to crash it! :)

I was unable to use the latest Roland Quad-Capture ASIO Driver after the crash (without a restart of course). I was however able to change to a Roland Quad-Capture WASAPI Driver instead. This seems to be working fine with Reaper so far (touch wood and all that). Unfortunately, Ableton does not support WASAPI.

Well, I thought I'd add my findings here in case anyone else has experienced some similar problems with Ableton, and this additional information is of value.

I don't know. That's all I know!

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:58 pm

What a long Thread already! :)

Tried ASIO4ALL with Ableton. Loaded quite a few instruments before Live crashed again. Now it 'errors' seriously every time I try to re-open the set.

Another restart is in order I suppose.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:16 pm

:idea:

Back to my Toneport UX1 again. Thank God I have alternatives.

uberkarr

Post by uberkarr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:44 am

Something is weird with 8.2.6. The other night I opened up some sets that I have created in 8.2.2 and while the tracks are all present, each track is void of any audio info.

It is totally fucked up. Fortunately, I have backups!

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 am

Hmm, used Live 8.2.6 all week on my vacation in Kauai with zero hiccups...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:42 am

kent_sandvik wrote:Hmm, used Live 8.2.6 all week on my vacation in Kauai with zero hiccups...

Cool, good for you!
I'm sure that makes everyone feel much better.

rasclart

Post by rasclart » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:19 am

Congrats Coz I've just had 7 crashes this evening!! I'm working on a big project granted but this program has become so frustrating to work with, every uability. please sort your house out?

debris

Post by debris » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 am

I am also getting a lot of problems with this update... which is a first for me... never had consistant issues before... this is wierd... Spectrasonics Stylus will suddenly stop... which makes it rather useless for live... also more crashes than before though lately it seems more stable for some reason... in the middle of trying to get the free Retro Synths package to show up... third time I've tried to re-install... time consuming, as tech support tells me I have to repair library, which takes forever...
debris

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Looking forward to Ableton 8.2.7. This current version is a bad joke on my system.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:19 pm

This is really pissing me off again today. How many f*cking years has live 8 been in development?