Ableton crashing on scanning of vst, need help plz

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MusicIsMath

Ableton crashing on scanning of vst, need help plz

Post by MusicIsMath » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm currently having issues getting ableton v8.2.6 scan vst custom plugin folder without hard crashing. Leaving live to linger in the memory and require a reboot just to get it to release audio drivers.
I have a selection of instruments from the native instruments komplete collections and require some of them for live performance use.
As it stands, I can't really do anything, let alone practice the set with the sounds as I can't get the vst folder to scan.

I've found the preferences.cfg and deleted that and tried again.
Made a folder on the drive and copied vst .dll files across but no biscuit.

Anyone got any pointers?
Cheers.

5PRYME

Re: Ableton crashing on scanning of vst, need help plz

Post by 5PRYME » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know what you're OS is, I have Windows 7 x64, trying to find the right place for my plugins was a bit tricky. It seems like different manufacturers - whether free or pay - often times have odd things that they need such as the folder containing the plug-in to have a specific name that won't be recognized if you name the folder differently. I also had problems with plugs that contained extra items such as .fxp's, .fxb's, .seq's, etc.

I would try this; make a list of the plug-ins that you had added around the time the problem started occurring and test them in groups, this will at least narrow in on the one that's causing the problem. When you get to that plug-in see if there is a read me or if there are additional files in orbit with the dll and in the first case find out where the folder needs to be or what the naming requirement is, for the second case just be sure to keep all of the supporting files in the same folder.