All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Drum Racks...help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm 

Okay. Wondered if anyone can help me out here.

I'm getting more into Ableton. It's been neglected mostly for any duties other then prepping files to use elsewhere..but I've decided to get more involved with it production wise...

What is confusing me at the moment is how to create a multi output drum rack device? I know how to turn samples into drum rack instruments...but what I want to do is have each pad/slice on it's own output, so that I can (for example) compress the drum separately.

Also I've seen that you can drop other devices into a drum rack.But I'm not sure how to route and set these up either...

Answers on the back of a postcard please :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Drum Racks...help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:55 pm 

Really you don't need to set up seporate outputs to do what you want to do although you can do that. If you go in to clip view in the mixer section you will see a small arrow next tot he drum rack. click this and it will expand all the used channels in the drum rack out in to your mixer. You can add devices per sample/device here. You can also add return tracks and sends going to the same rack output or to and external return track.
If you do want to get a separate external track for a sound in the drum rack the click on a audio tracks input selector. Choose the drum rack from the drop down list. beneath that you will be able to see each drum rack sound with 3 options.

pre FX
Post FX
Post mixer.

If you have FX on that sound then choose post FX. now go to that channel in the drum rack and mute that channel. once you arm the new audio channels monitor to input you will now here the sound from drum the rack. If you didn't mute the drum racks channel you would here it twice as loud :twisted:

The only reason I tend to take outputs from drum rack now is if I want to compress my kick drum with my bass or if I'm mixing externally through a desk as drum rack has all the mixing functions you would want inside it already. Its an extension of the live environment rather than just another device. I got rid of Battery ages ago. :wink:

http://soundcloud.com/distant-tremor/se ... -are-blip/

http://www.myspace.com/alanpsyfi https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psyfi/107738257120

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:29 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a play shortly when I've finished web browsing.

It's funny you should mention Battery. I really like it but it doesn't get used either. I've just sold it for £60. I'll possibly miss some of the content..but between Live, Logic9 and Reason6...and a few thousand records and cds... I think I have enough drum samples already 8O

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm 

psyfi wrote:
Really you don't need to set up seporate outputs to do what you want to do although you can do that. If you go in to clip view in the mixer section you will see a small arrow next tot he drum rack. click this and it will expand all the used channels in the drum rack out in to your mixer. You can add devices per sample/device here. You can also add return tracks and sends going to the same rack output or to and external return track.
If you do want to get a separate external track for a sound in the drum rack the click on a audio tracks input selector. Choose the drum rack from the drop down list. beneath that you will be able to see each drum rack sound with 3 options.

pre FX
Post FX
Post mixer.

If you have FX on that sound then choose post FX. now go to that channel in the drum rack and mute that channel. once you arm the new audio channels monitor to input you will now here the sound from drum the rack. If you didn't mute the drum racks channel you would here it twice as loud :twisted:

The only reason I tend to take outputs from drum rack now is if I want to compress my kick drum with my bass or if I'm mixing externally through a desk as drum rack has all the mixing functions you would want inside it already. Its an extension of the live environment rather than just another device. I got rid of Battery ages ago. :wink:

I'm a new Live user and was literally just thinking about this... will test it out when I get back, but thanks dude, very helpful.

I'm looking for ways to save CPU so being able to use sends for common drum FX to individual hits within a drum rack is very useful indeed! (As is getting into the habit of saving fully processed hits into kits so that you don't need the CPU hogging processing in the first place!).

:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]