Sync Traktor with ableton metronome fuck up

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
markstulp

Sync Traktor with ableton metronome fuck up

Post by markstulp » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey guys

I was wondering if anybody else has this problem.
I have this setup here with two laptops one running traktor pro 2 and the other running ableton live 8. Synced with midi interfaces and all the good stuff.
Everything runs fine I receive MIDI clock from traktor in live and I can play everything synced with the metronomes running at exact the same time and I can hear wen I have to press a button on my apc 40 to start a clip in just the way I want because I know how the metronome is running in live.
Now the problem. When another track is mixed in in traktor most of the time the metronome starts acting like it has to be at the same place as the newly mixed in song but it does not sound the way I want and I can't hear when to start in a clip and everything starts getting confusing and not sounding good in ableton.
(to be short: at the first track synced to traktor everything sounds fine and nicely synced. when I mix in another track the metronome starts "beeping" in another way, the main beep is placed in another way so my clips are not starting at the expected time.)

Does anybody know how to maybe loop the metronome in live so my clips are always being started at the time I feel they have to start?

This problem does not occur when playing with live so I know it has to be something with the way live interacts with traktor.

I hope I'm not confusing and I hope to get some help this way! :D

EdRyan

Re: Sync Traktor with ableton metronome fuck up

Post by EdRyan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:27 am

At a hunch. This sounds like it could be a problem with Traktor's sync mode when playing a file. But it's been that long since I did any 2 laptop sync'd setups...I'm not possibly sure.

If Live is acting as the master clock. Then Traktor will try to keep time to it. If sync mode is on...it will try to sync your audio in traktor to this clock. I think this is where you could have an issue.

markstulp

Post by markstulp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:08 pm

EdRyan wrote:At a hunch. This sounds like it could be a problem with Traktor's sync mode when playing a file. But it's been that long since I did any 2 laptop sync'd setups...I'm not possibly sure.

If Live is acting as the master clock. Then Traktor will try to keep time to it. If sync mode is on...it will try to sync your audio in traktor to this clock. I think this is where you could have an issue.
Thanks for the reply (and sorry for my late reply)
I'm using traktor as master and ableton as slave so that is not the problem (I tried to use traktor as the slave but couldn't even get this to look like it would work). The problem seems to be ableton not correctly syncing his metronome to traktor's metronome resulting in a not proper sounding mix.
I double checked everything and everything still runs fine for the first one or to songs but then everything starts to fuck up.
I am going mad here. :(

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 am

Check your global bpm settings in Traktor. Make sure you have your decks synced to the master clock (this is not the default), otherwise the tempo will change, even slightly, with different tracks. As the slave, Live will inherently struggle to keep up with these changes. I use these two programs together a lot and I prefer to run them independently. I use the two metronomes on my cue track and Live's nudge buttons to make adjustments.

markstulp

Post by markstulp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:39 pm

myxomat0515 wrote:Check your global bpm settings in Traktor. Make sure you have your decks synced to the master clock (this is not the default), otherwise the tempo will change, even slightly, with different tracks. As the slave, Live will inherently struggle to keep up with these changes. I use these two programs together a lot and I prefer to run them independently. I use the two metronomes on my cue track and Live's nudge buttons to make adjustments.
Again sorry for the really really late replay but you did solve my problem here!
I'm not sure if I tried this before but me and my brother tried it about half an our ago and the whole setup works like a charm now!!!
Thank you very much!!