MPD32 not showing in MIDI Ports

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lexor

MPD32 not showing in MIDI Ports

Post by lexor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 am

Hi,

I recently had the MPD32 working in my setup then I decided to add some other controllers. I connected a launchpad and bcr 2000 as well as a basic MIDI keyboard (all via USB) and my MPD32 stopped working.
Figuring these new controllers might be the problem I tried troubleshooting without them connected and now my MPD32 doesn't show up at all. It shows in Windows Devices so I know my computer is seeing it, but in Live there is no MPD32 under MIDI Ports. (It's not in orange, it's just not there.) :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ste_clectic

Re: MPD32 not showing in MIDI Ports

Post by Ste_clectic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I had the same problem with my mpd32 when I had my launchpad connected. I just hooked up the mpd with midi leads. Problem solved.

m.o

Post by m.o » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:06 pm

There is a problem/bug with windows and USB-Midi devices, the problem is thare is a limit to the number of devices connected (I think 10).
Normally this wouldn't be a problem for most people, except that if you switch USB port on a device it will be counted as a 'new' device.

I had this problem, sounds similar to your issue, devie would show up in windows but not be available.
To fix this was kinda complicated;

1. Enable windows to show 'inactive' devices in the hardware viewer:
Right click 'my computer' -> properties -> Advanced -> Advanced Tab -> Enviromental Variables
In the lower field click 'new'
Variable name: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
Value: 1

2. Go to hardware viewer and delete unused midi devices:
From computer properties -> Advanced (like above) -> Hardware tab -> First button ('devices' i think)
You should now see a tree view of hardware.
Under 'Veiw menu' check 'show hidden units'
Open 'Sound, video...' devices
You should now see and be able to delete duplicate midi devices.

lexor

Post by lexor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Thank you so much!
This fixed it right away :mrgreen:
I have switched my ports several times so that is exactly it.
Thanks again :)