Controlling video in arrangement / audio in session view

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
freshkicks

Controlling video in arrangement / audio in session view

Post by freshkicks » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:09 am

Hi all, I have a question regarding triggering video in Ableton's arrangement view and triggering audio in session view, at the same time. Wondering if this is possible.

For my live show I'm using a MPC1000, I play the MPC live with loaded sounds in the pads and use the midi out to control video clips in ableton's arrangment view. Each video clip has markers that are midi mapped to the pads on the MPC. This way I can play the pads and trigger video at the same time. Keep note, Im not using Ableton for triggering any audio.

Because the MPC only holds 128 MB of sounds, I'd like to incorporate my novation launchpad to trigger audio in the session view while video is playing, triggered from the MPC. The problem is, since I have video being triggered via midi in arrangement view, every time I play audio via the launchpad (session view) and then hit a pad on the MPC the playhead moves and stops playback of ableton's audio. Is there a way that you know of that I can continue triggering my video clips in arrangement view and incorporate the launch pad in session view without them messing each other up?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone out there. thanks guys
J

kanuck

Re: Controlling video in arrangement / audio in session view

Post by kanuck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15 am

i don't understand why ableton's audio stops once the playback starts moving.. :P

are the audio tracks that you want to play and the video track separate?

If you have the mpc's midi out mapped to lanuch certain locater points then that shouldn't affect the any of the launched clips in session view. I just tried running this test now with key mappings. (I'm interested in performing with video as well) I mapped a, b, c to certain locaters on the timeline in the video. Then I made a couple of clips in session view on different tracks and key mapped those to d, e, f. I launched the movie with a. start messing around witht he clips in session view with the keyboard. then jumped around in the video with a, b, c.

sorry if i misunderstood your problem.

freshkicks

Post by freshkicks » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 am

Thanks for your response

Yeah, the video and audio are on different tracks. So for example, I have all my video clips on Audio 1 track in the arrangement timeline. I midi map locate points throughout the video clips to be triggered by the MPC. I then create Audio 2 in session view and drop some new audio clips. I can then trigger the audio clips via my launchpad but when I hit a pad on the mpc to trigger video it stops audio 2's playback, or jumps around the song. I believe this is because the playback head is jumping in the timeline to different times in the arrangement view.

Did you not run into these problems? I tried mapping it out on the keys but whenever I triggered different parts of the video it would trigger different parts of the song.

thanks for your help

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:42 am

freshkicks wrote:Thanks for your response

Yeah, the video and audio are on different tracks. So for example, I have all my video clips on Audio 1 track in the arrangement timeline. I midi map locate points throughout the video clips to be triggered by the MPC. I then create Audio 2 in session view and drop some new audio clips. I can then trigger the audio clips via my launchpad but when I hit a pad on the mpc to trigger video it stops audio 2's playback, or jumps around the song. I believe this is because the playback head is jumping in the timeline to different times in the arrangement view.

Did you not run into these problems? I tried mapping it out on the keys but whenever I triggered different parts of the video it would trigger different parts of the song.

thanks for your help
I see where your problem's coming from

get rid of any audio inside of the arrangment view. so arrangement should just have empty tracks and the video clips.

freshkicks

Post by freshkicks » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Hmm, not sure if that's the case. I scaled everything back and started from scratch. I basically have one clip of audio (track 1) in the session view, on track 1 launching via novation launchpad.

I then have one track (track 2) in arrangement view with the video clip marked with one locater mark. This is mapped to a pad on the MPC.

If I play the audio track via launchpad it plays fine. But when I go to trigger the video via MPC it moves the playback marker to the predefined mapping and screws with audio playback of audio track 1.

See what I'm saying? There doesn't seem to be a way to trigger audio in the session view and skip around on different parts of the video in the timeline at the same time. Here are two screenshots

thanks again for your help

SRangel

Post by SRangel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:53 pm

freshkicks wrote:Hi all, I have a question regarding triggering video in Ableton's arrangement view and triggering audio in session view, at the same time. Wondering if this is possible.

For my live show I'm using a MPC1000, I play the MPC live with loaded sounds in the pads and use the midi out to control video clips in ableton's arrangment view. Each video clip has markers that are midi mapped to the pads on the MPC. This way I can play the pads and trigger video at the same time. Keep note, Im not using Ableton for triggering any audio.

Because the MPC only holds 128 MB of sounds, I'd like to incorporate my novation launchpad to trigger audio in the session view while video is playing, triggered from the MPC. The problem is, since I have video being triggered via midi in arrangement view, every time I play audio via the launchpad (session view) and then hit a pad on the MPC the playhead moves and stops playback of ableton's audio. Is there a way that you know of that I can continue triggering my video clips in arrangement view and incorporate the launch pad in session view without them messing each other up?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone out there. thanks guys
J
I have exactly the same problem - but unfortunately no answers. Has anyone found a solution? Or is it really not possible?
Thanks!

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 am

Anyone interested in realtime video manipulation within Ableton Live (and owners of a M4L license) have a look to:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=594
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=536

Cheers
Fab