Kontakt multi & Axiom midi channel

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
sowhoso

Kontakt multi & Axiom midi channel

Post by sowhoso » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 am

I have a multi set up in kontakt. each instrument is on a different midi channel. However, no matter what global midi channel I set the axiom to, kontakt always plays the instrument on midi channel 1. the track is set to receive midi from all channels

What setting am I missing in Live?

thx!

rdevries

Re: Kontakt multi & Axiom midi channel

Post by rdevries » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Simple solution:in the miditrack, set outputchannel in the "midi to" chooser to the corresponding Kontaktchannel.
Better solution: You can set up an instrumentrack (on a seperate miditrack) with multiple external instrument-devices which route midi to the individual Kontaktinstruments (in the Kontaktplugin on a seperate miditrack) and take audio from the corresponding Kontaktoutputs.
This way you can switch to instruments in the Kontaktmulti by moving the rack's chainselector.
Make sure to use midichannel 1 and outputchannel 2 (which is pluginout#3 and #4 in Kontakt's channel output configuration)for the first Kontaktinstrument, midichannel2 and outputchannel 3 for the second instrument etc. Kontakt's outputchannel 1 is the main output of the plugin and cannot be chosen in Live's external instrument output.
Hope this makes sense.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:53 pm

my question assumed you can do it with just one track with kontakt in it. i guess not :(

i want to replicate what i do in Reaper. there, all i have to do is chg the global midi ch on the axiom to switch between intruments in a multi. too bad, i prefer writing in Live

i have been using the ext instrument but it does not allow freezing so i need to chg my workflow

idk, i'm new to kontakt...

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 pm

sowhoso wrote: maybe using banks...?
yes, that's how I do it now: use programchange messages to switch between instruments in a Kontakt instrumentbank.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:10 pm

hehe...i deleted that part from my post cuz i realized banks wouldn't work for me. i need to hear back other instruments as i create new parts

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:43 pm

you'll need multiple tracks for that.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:50 am

yeah i know. thx for taking the time