Your fav. USB audio interface with stable Windows drivers?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dentaku

Your fav. USB audio interface with stable Windows drivers?

Post by dentaku » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 am

I wouldn't mind getting a new soundcard/audio interface sometime but someone I know is also interested so I'm gonna ask a question that might have many answers.
Which interface would you guys recommend for my Win7-64bit system or his Vista-32bit system? (I wish he would just move to Win7 but re-installing an OS is a pain).
Something that has good stable drivers that has official support for the OS and that you have experience with that doesn't give you trouble.

HE would like something he can easily plug a mic and guitar into

I would like something just a little more powerful than my Echo Mia MIDI (if it would make a difference). I know it's not like video cards and the CPU speed is far more important. I only use VSTs and never record real instruments or any type of audio at all(exactly the opposite of my friend).
My Echo card works fine in Win7 64bit so I guess I'm just curious at this point. The other guy is more why I'm asking these questions.

I keep seeing adds for MOTU stuff all the time. Are they known for supporting Windows users with nice stable drivers in Win7 and Vista?
The NI Komplete Audio 6 seems to have everything he needs but again, it's all about good drivers and I don't know how good they are because I haven't been researching this stuff in a while.

twisted-space

Re: Your fav. USB audio interface with stable Windows drivers?

Post by twisted-space » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 am

RME Babyface.

It's f*cking Awesome.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 pm

So you're saying that RME is good with their Windows (Vista/Win7) drivers.
The funny thing about these companies is that they can make great hardware but they don't seem to test their Windows drivers very well.
twisted-space wrote:RME Babyface.

It's f*cking Awesome.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

The funny thing about these companies is that they can make great hardware but they don't seem to test their Windows drivers very well.
Not all companies are like that. I mean, MOTU had the reputation of having great Mac drivers and terrible windows ones, but I've been using an E-MU 1820M for some years now and the drivers are great and the driver software may be 2nd best to RME's, which you also get your moneys worth from, because of it's routing options. Seems a lot of companies just have the driver or minimal software control just enough to be able to have better latencies in your DAW but there's a lot more you can do with the driver software like RME's and E-Mu's PatchMix. Whatever my next soundcard will be, I wouldn't think of buying something if it didn't supply the same kind of driver software.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 pm

these interface threads always seem to come in groups... :|

Here is what i use:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktopkonnekt6.asp
i use it with Windows XP and 7 and have never had a driver issue.