Time Stretch a Sample Without Affecting Pitch

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
hollandaze

Time Stretch a Sample Without Affecting Pitch

Post by hollandaze » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I want to stretch or squash a single sampled sound bite (not a midi note) regardless of tempo. I have a sound that's too short for the space I want it to fill, so I want to drag it out a bit longer, or I have a sound that's a bit too long for the space I want it to fill, so I want to shorten it. Both without effecting the pitch and both not really tied to bpm.

I used to use Digital Performer and you could just option-click a sound and drag it around to shorten or extend it - is there a tool for this in Ableton?

Thanks!

simmerdown

Re: Time Stretch a Sample Without Affecting Pitch

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 pm

warp!

takes quite a lot of words to explain, best would be to youtube search 'Ableton Warp(ing)' and go from there

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm

ImageImage

easemeister

Post by easemeister » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 pm

LOL :lol:

joeypresents

Post by joeypresents » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 am

warping... yea that works when using clips but I too would like to know how to do this in simpler or even sampler I have both but stick to simpler ...PEACE

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:55 am

joeypresents wrote: I too would like to know how to do this in simpler or even sampler
nope, gotta pre-stretch

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:04 pm

joeypresents wrote:warping... yea that works when using clips but I too would like to know how to do this in simpler or even sampler I have both but stick to simpler ...PEACE
Sampler could do something like this, but not with constant speed and poor quality of results (I rathe ruse this a ssoudn designing):
Make a sort loop of your sample, so that only a few cycles are inside it. Then use the AUX-Envelope to modulate the loop start, so it scans through your sample. It is hard to set up and needs a lot of trial and error.
I'd also suggest to warp your sample outside of sampler and put it inside afterwards, if still needed.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

hollandaze

Post by hollandaze » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Pretty funny shadx. Avery Brooks in the house. Spencer for Hire. Say word.

Of course it's warping, but using an mpc or other DAWS you can just grab a sound bite and manipulate it rather than going through all of the steps to warp something basically taking a guess at the warp markers to stretch it to fit the space you want.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah, I overlooked the part where you said you were having a hard time getting it stretched right. I'm retarded.

I think if the sample won't stretch as far as you want it to, the alternative would be to use Simpler or Sampler; they use the same technique, though the Simpler route is different since it lacks the routing options Sampler has. There's a youtube video; I think it's called "Time Stretch con Simpler".

What you do is make a tiny loop section that scans through the sample during a bar or 2, or 4, or 8. With simpler you would use the the clip envelope parameter for loop start or sample offset(?)
In Sampler you just use LFO2, set the waveform to Ramp, Sync it to how long you want it go through the sample (say, 1 bar) and select Loop Start (I think) in the window dropdown and turn it up to 100. It's pretty much granular timestretch.

Actually, another easier way (but less organic) is to put the clip in the Arrangement view in zoom in like a mofo. Then copy/duplicate tiny sections until you end up extending the length of the whole sample. Don't just use one part of the sample though or it won't sound like how you probably want it. It'd be better to repeat like 8 or 16 of the 1/128th or 1/64th pieces progressively through the original sample so it still sounds like it's going through the whole thing naturally. Once you're done consolidate it.

Or PaulStretch.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:18 am

This is how I would do what you are requesting, for whatever it may be worth:

Drag desired clip into spot with start point aligned.
Deactivate Loop, leave Warp on, remove ALL warp markers except for the one at the spot where the clip is supposed to start, switch to Pro warp mode.
Look at clip in Arrangement, while you drag a transient of choice left or right. You will see the waveform stretching. If you stretch it really far, you can extend the clip in the Arrangement closer to the desired length. Move it some more.
When happy, anchor that desired end point by double clicking a new marker. If necessary, you may tidy up the timing by adding other markers inbetween.
Lastly, fine tune the Formant and Envelope of the warping algorithm.

Stretched.