Computer preparation before setting up studio

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Lukas2012

Computer preparation before setting up studio

Post by Lukas2012 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello to the forum

Its my first post and I need your help ;)

Before new year I want to prepare my computer for producing, I will upgrade my "studio" with some hardware but before that the computer must by optimized the best it can be.

My main concern is about partition size.
Right now it looks like this: C:12GB, D:40GB, E:90GB, F:90GB (its old computer but still good enough ;)

The C is too small as I rich out of memory very soon. I was thinking about join C with D and as outcome C:52GB and same for E and F = D:180GB

I would install all software for windows and such for C and Ableton with all VSTS on D is it good idea ? or would be better to make C:120GB and D 100: and install Ableton with Vsts as well on C??

6uold

Re: Computer preparation before setting up studio

Post by 6uold » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Why have multiple partitions at all? There are advantages/disadvantages, but do you have some extraordinary concern? I have everything in the single C: partition on a 2TB drive.

m.o

Re: Computer preparation before setting up studio

Post by m.o » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm

I'd say go with two partitions.

Operating system and ableton installed on C:, keep as much of your own data/songs/samples and downloaded stuff you want to keep on D:
I think something like 80GB on C: should be enough for windows, ableton and some other programs.

Installed programs will almost always have stuff written to c: even if you install the bulk of it to another partition, besides it rarelly works to just pickup and use an installed program (on d: fo example) after an OS reinstall.

(Thinking of windows here btw.)

Or... why not just get a new HDD and use that as d: with your stuff.