Setting Up VST Library

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
bpt0109

Setting Up VST Library

Post by bpt0109 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Saw a post or two on this but after going back still having issues. Have some VSt's I'd like to use and made a separate VST folder for them as well as plug ins in the plug ins file. None of these are still showing up within the live folder and plug in list. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

regretfullySaid

Re: Setting Up VST Library

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Did you click on the Rescan VST button?
ImageImage

bpt0109

Post by bpt0109 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I did hit the rescan button and still nothing unfortunately.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 pm

So what do you mean by "as well as plugins in the plugins file"...

If you haven't done it this way, just make shortcuts of the plugins you want to use (an alias on mac or right-click and "create shortcut" on windows) and drag them to you custom vst folder for live. It should be as simple as that.

I don't know what you mean with plugins in the plugins file, but it should only be a 1 step process, drag the vst or vst shortcut into the folder you want Live to recognize.
ImageImage

82DMC12

Post by 82DMC12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Hey, I think I have a similar problem.

I have two plug-in's right now. Line 6 POD and Minimogue VST. Line 6 installed into its own folder in C:\programfiles(x86)\Line6. That was my only plug-in so I had that path as my custom plug-in folder.

Then I added Minimogue VST which I purposely installed to the same folder and of course it shows up in Live. I'd rather clean this up and have a system I follow where they all go into a customer folder within the Live 8.2.7 folder. I tried making Live8.2.7/plugins and copied the .exe files for both Line6 and Minimogue into it, changed the path in the Preferences, but Live doesn't see them.

What file is Live actually looking for? Should I uninstall these two plug-in's and reinstall to Live\plugins? I just want to be organized and have a big mess a year from now.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:04 am

'What file is Live actually looking for?'

.dll

82DMC12

Post by 82DMC12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks, that worked! Do you guys usually let VST's install to their default folders and then just copy the .dll to your plugin's folder? Or do you try to keep all that stuff in its own place too? Just curious how I can do a better job being organized.

Andy

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:43 am

i copy the dll's and have them all in one folder

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 am

I install vst effects into a folder called "VST EFfects" and vst instruments into a folder called "vst instruments"

but then I have a folder called "VST Alias" that contains just the shortcuts of the vsts I want in Live.

(Right click on ???.dll and "Create Shortcut", then drag it into "VST Alias" folder)
ImageImage

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 am

I have a vst folder. Within that folder I have an 'Ableton' folder with a number after it.

Basically, I install easy vst files into the vst folder. I right-click the dll file and I think it is called Paste shortcut to another location... Then I go inside the Ableton folder and paste. At the moment I have one for fx. Other for instruments inside my Ableton folder. If it annoys me for one reason or another, I create a new one "Ableton5" and them I can drag certain shortcuts in (if I'm having start up problems I may experiment with which plug in may be interfering)

For Native Instrument vsts, I let them install in their default locations. They are just a pain in the ass (particularly updates). But I link to them in the vst folder :).