Disk overload with new Mac Mini 2011???

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
bapman76

Disk overload with new Mac Mini 2011???

Post by bapman76 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi everybody,
I've just bought my first Mac : a Mac mini 2011 server with i7 quad and two 7200rpm hard disks. :D
I tought it was a great improve from my hold PC pentium 4.
Surprise, after installing the last version of Live for Lion and opening an old project which ran pretty good on my old Pc, the HD overload indicator start to flash. :scratch:
However, it's a small project :
Only 5 audio tracks et 4 midi tracks with vst ( sorry audio unit now).
All is new, so the disk are almost empty.
I put my projects folder on the 2nd disk to seperate them from the application disk.
My audio interface is a motu traveler mk3 with last drivers. Don't know what i have to do...

Little additionnal question : how much latency can i expect with this configuration??? I'm about 35ms with 512 for the buffer. It seems to be a lot...
Some ideas for my problem???
thanks a lot.

Bad Lieutenant

Re: Disk overload with new Mac Mini 2011???

Post by Bad Lieutenant » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:10 am

bapman76 wrote:Hi everybody,
I've just bought my first Mac : a Mac mini 2011 server with i7 quad and two 7200rpm hard disks. :D
I tought it was a great improve from my hold PC pentium 4.
Surprise, after installing the last version of Live for Lion and opening an old project which ran pretty good on my old Pc, the HD overload indicator start to flash. :scratch:
However, it's a small project :
Only 5 audio tracks et 4 midi tracks with vst ( sorry audio unit now).
All is new, so the disk are almost empty.
I put my projects folder on the 2nd disk to seperate them from the application disk.
My audio interface is a motu traveler mk3 with last drivers. Don't know what i have to do...

Little additionnal question : how much latency can i expect with this configuration??? I'm about 35ms with 512 for the buffer. It seems to be a lot...
Some ideas for my problem???
thanks a lot.
BUMP: I have a very similar problem - almost to the Nth detail! Any help welcome - I emailed Ableton who are asking me for some pack file download (I fell like a beta tester after spending over £600 on the Suite!)

Any help from you helpful people gratefully received.

Live 10.1.15 suite
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

MBP:

3.3GHz Intel-core i5
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
1TB Mac SSD
High Sierra
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

the bite

Post by the bite » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 pm

i don,t have a mac mini, but a mac and have the same problem with disk overload.
i group my tracks, so i have only 6 audio tracks and have disk problem with disk overload that annoying me every time...
it,s a good solution to buy a firewire harddrive?

Bad Lieutenant

Post by Bad Lieutenant » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi there,

I contacted Ableton - and after what felt like 3 full moons, they told me to do some things like deleting PReference.cfg, repairing libraries etc.

But nothing seems to help...I also suffer from high latency with my external soundcard (post here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=177107)

But this forum seems to be of very little help - perhaps everyone is so frustrated with Ableton that they have tired of articulating the same problems again and again (!)

FWIW, here is what Ableton told me to do (to very little avail):

First of all, please repair the disk permissions of your computer's hard drive with the Disk Utility. It can be found here: /Applications/Utilities/

Another general recommendation, please always use a power of 2 audio buffer size (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 Samples, etc.) Some audio interfaces and even plug-ins have problems with "odd" values. The buffer size can be set in Live's preferences -> audio tab.

It's actually unavoidable that Amp is causing a higher CPU load than other Ableton devices. This is a result of the physical modeling used in this devices. But it's not normal that already one Amp devices is causing the problems you're describing.

Please check with the Activity Monitor if there are any other processes running which are consuming CPU resources while Live is running.
/Application/Utilities/Activity Monitor

If this doesn't help please try this:
- close Live
- delete the "Preferences.cfg", "Template.als" and "Undo.cfg" files (if available) from
/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 8.2.7/

- delete the content of these two folders:
/Users/[username]/Library/Caches/Ableton/Cache/Web

and
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Live 8.2.7/Database

- delete the same files for all older Live versions

- restart Live 8.2.7

Note: this will reset Live completely. Your template set will be erased (if you have one), audio and MIDI hardware needs to be setup again in Live's preferences. Also plug-in support needs to be switched on again

Note: the user Library folder is hidden by default on Lion. To make it visible press and hold the “option/alt” key, and you can choose “Go to Library” in the Go menu of the Finder.

Live 10.1.15 suite
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

MBP:

3.3GHz Intel-core i5
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
1TB Mac SSD
High Sierra
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB