Importing audio CDs

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stevemac

Importing audio CDs

Post by stevemac » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi all, this may be a very simple question but I'ves searched both the forum and the manual :(

Recent convert to Ableton, loving it I have to say.

First time I went to import an audio track from a cd it just wouldn't let me. Tried dragging file from broswer as usual but no joy. Any reason why this might be??? You can import audio cd files right??

cheers

dday

Re: Importing audio CDs

Post by dday » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

.cda's won't work. wav and mp3 only. you were correct in your assumption.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I see! :(

Best way to get cd audio files into wavs without losing quality??

thanks for your help!

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:23 pm

On OSX, you can open the CD in Finder and the audio tracks will show up as .aiff files so you can drag them wherever you want. I like to drag them to a folder on my hard drive first and then import them into Live when the copy is finished.

On Windows, there are a variety of CD ripping tools that should be able to extract the tracks as .wav, although I don't know what the current hotness is. I used Cdex years ago. There shouldn't be any quality loss, as .wav and CD audio can store the exact same audio data (the same is true for .aiff in OSX).

javierf55

Post by javierf55 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Do you have Itunes?? you can set the type of audio (wav, mp3, etc) format to import. You can import the CD to your Itunes library and then from your directory to Ableton.

Hope this helps.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 pm

javierf55 wrote:Do you have Itunes?? you can set the type of audio (wav, mp3, etc) format to import. You can import the CD to your Itunes library and then from your directory to Ableton.

Hope this helps.
awesome! thanks for the answers guys - much appreciated :)