Drum layering

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
spiffincat

Drum layering

Post by spiffincat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi all, thanks for all the tip and advice given to myself and others that I read. I get more from these forum posts from any other source other than by using and problem solving in Live.

I have asked about drum layering before but still seem to be running into a block, I hope someone has a moment to post any tips on the matter.

Specifically I want to layer some snares, save them as a new sound in my library for future use. Currently I create kits with impulse and manually layer the drums in my tracks simply by adding multiple snare's in the impulse kit. That however is not efficient use of the impulse kit.

It has been suggested to me to create a track with multiple snares on it and then create a clip to trigger the track and all snares at once, save it, and "render" it. I get the gist of this suggestion but don't know how to do things like create clips for triggering clips or rendering.

What I was hoping I could do was simply drag snare samples on top of each other into a clip or a pad in impulse and save that but when I do that the new snare sound just replaces the previous one in the clip or impulse pad.

Any easy way to do this?

Thank in advance for any tips

Evan

82DMC12

Re: Drum layering

Post by 82DMC12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I too am pretty new but I know you can add a drum rack and layer multiple samples and blend them in different ways. I think that would be the most efficient way.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 pm

82DMC12 wrote:I too am pretty new but I know you can add a drum rack and layer multiple samples and blend them in different ways. I think that would be the most efficient way.

Agreed, any reason why you don't want to use drum racks? They will do *almost* exactly what you describe, the only difference being you have to drop the samples onto different cells, then set "receive" to the same note in the chain list, and then they will consolidate onto the same pad. From there, you can add insert fx, sends, etc... to each individual hit, but they will all function as one sound, so you don't end up with pancake stacks of snare hits in your piano roll.

spiffincat

Post by spiffincat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Well that's much simpler. No pun intended.

I had been creating my kits using impulse exclusively after watching some youtube tutorial. I had not tried the drim rack and didn't even think of it to try, which I will now do.

Thanks you both.

Hey 82DMC12, I think it's very cool you are new as well but already active in trying to help others here. Way to go mate, much respect.

82DMC12

Post by 82DMC12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm

spiffincat wrote:Well that's much simpler. No pun intended.

I had been creating my kits using impulse exclusively after watching some youtube tutorial. I had not tried the drim rack and didn't even think of it to try, which I will now do.

Thanks you both.

Hey 82DMC12, I think it's very cool you are new as well but already active in trying to help others here. Way to go mate, much respect.
Thanks, I actually had Live Intro for a while but then made the mistake of getting the Suite demo... haha I had to have it so I just bought a new desktop and Live 8 Suite! I watched a video earlier this week showing how to use drum racks so I'm glad to help! Others on here have pointed me in the right direction so I like to try to give back if I actually know the answer :-)

Andy

spiffincat

Post by spiffincat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey guys another quick question here.. I've set up a drum rack but can't figure how to set receive to the same note in the chain. The little "a" button seems to state that it does but no luck.. any thoughts?

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 am

yeah, you have to open up the input/output window, looks like (I-O) and there will be a "receive" section, where you can set the individual hits to a certain note, just make them all the same note, as you do so, they will start to vanish from the cells, and the cell for the note you specify will change from a sample name to "multi".
you can also do this from the clip grid up above by clicking the arrow next to the drum rack, and it will unfold the individual hits, and you can set receive from there. This video show how to do it, except with instruments loaded into the cells instead of hits, the idea is the same though:
http://www.gearwire.com/drumracks-vst-002.html

spiffincat

Post by spiffincat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 am

Brilliant. Thanks antarktika.. I'm going to watch the tutorial now for further info, but I have already got a bunch of snares assigned to one key as you described it.. saw them all disappear and drop in c1 as I selected each :)