Looping scenes despite 'follow next' action

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
uplift123

Looping scenes despite 'follow next' action

Post by uplift123 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 am

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with a problem of mine.

I have my live sets set up so that each song is split into stems and sections, so each stem is split up into equal section as the other stems of intro, verse, prechorus, chorus, verse2 etc.

Each clip is set to 'follow next' in launch so that when the clips for each instrument of a section end, the clips for the next section are triggered.

I want to be able to loop sections on the fly, ie loop a chorus if the crowd is singing along.

However, if I press 'loop,' the next clip is triggered when the current clip reaches its end, regardless of whether 'loop' is engaged.

Is there a way to loop clips, overriding the 'follow next' action temporarily whilst 'loop' is engaged. And when 'loop' is disengaged, the 'follow next' action to continue as normal and the song will play out to the end, each clip playing through and triggering the next clip at its end.

If someone could be so kind as to help me with this, I'd be very grateful,

Regards,
Alex

oddstep

Re: Looping scenes despite 'follow next' action

Post by oddstep » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm

could you abandon your follow action working method, loop up your clips and switch between them manually? maybe using scene launch rather than clip launch if your short on controllers/ available limbs/ headspace. i like follow actions but I often feel like I am fighting against them in a live context. if something needs to repeat x times and then play the next bit, I find that I have more control if I just made that a single clip.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

The only way I'm aware of overriding the follow action is to relaunch the scene.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Alex,

Not without Max4live i'm afraid as all Ableton's follow actions are time based (beats bars etc.) from the original launch point, as mentioned above you could seperate out all your clips into the loops you might make and then retrigger but this would be troublesome in practise....

With Max4Live you can even have Scene follow actions so if your looping clip is the master trigger for a scene then all other tracks are set to loop then when it reaches it's end it'd trigger the next scene down...

Cheers
D