Laptops synced via midi, no problem...now midi commands?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ohiowa

Laptops synced via midi, no problem...now midi commands?

Post by ohiowa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey all,

i've read through the 40billion "how to sync two laptops" threads, and i'm all set in that regard. their clocks are syncdd no problem, spacebar on the master starts the slave, changing tempo reads on the second computer all good. check, no problem.

now, my conundrum is how to start scenes via midi. Computer 1 (master) is reading every midi command fine, but computer 2 (slave) doesn't see anything.

i'm trying to run a master and a redundant backup computer for live performances. i just need to know how to trigger clips on both at the same time.

any help is much appreciated, i've been scratching my head and reading posts about this for a couple days now.
// u n u r //
moderntapes.com/unur
facebook.com/uunnuurr
anywhere anyone 12"ep
coming soon!

Warrior Bob

Re: Laptops synced via midi, no problem...now midi commands?

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:24 pm

I don't think syncing two copies of Live passes all the MIDI messages from one to another. It's still two separate copies of Live, they just have their clock in sync.

I imagine you could set up some kind of routing between them, although if you're trying to keep the "state" of both machines the same, you run the risk of losing this if there's any latency in delivering the message.

Alternatively, you could work out some system that duplicates your MIDI messages and sends one to each machine. I think there are hardware boxes that can do this, although I've never personally used one.

GsinG

Re: Laptops synced via midi, no problem...now midi commands?

Post by GsinG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 am

Why do you need a redundant computer? If your running midi through the one to the other if something freezes they are both fucked. If anything why don't you try splitting your drums and bass on synths and effects on the other.