Q about Nocturn and Automap 4

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
doghouse

Q about Nocturn and Automap 4

Post by doghouse » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Been thinking about adding a Nocturn to my Launchpad and read this on the Novation website:

Nocturn is now a great Ableton Live device controller. The latest version of its Automap control software (3.5) means that when you open up one of Live's own instruments or FX, Nocturn's 8 knobs will automatically map to the first 8 parameters in the device. If you want to control more than 8 parameters on a big device such as Operator, you can simply 'page' through and control as many parameters as you want.

Is this for real? I've read Automap complaints in other threads...have not dug into it yet with the Launchpad. If it works well, a Nocturn would be a very useful addition.

How well does the Speed Dial feature work within Live? Can it be locked/unlocked to a parameter without manually MIDI mapping it?

doghouse

Re: Q about Nocturn and Automap 4

Post by doghouse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Bump...no Nocturn users here?

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Just got one recently but have only played with it a little. I haven't had any stability issues. As long as I ensure the Ableton channel is active, it works as advertised. The speed dial controls whatever the mouse is pointed at. If the mouse is not over a control, turning the knob moves the mouse pointer slowly along the XY axis, FYI. The encoders turn smoothly, but the speed knob is finely stepped, FYI. As far as locking/unlocking, I haven't tried it. It took me some time to figure out how to properly map the crossfader, as it's unmapped by default. That's about everything I can say so far about it.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:39 pm

My bet is you are not going to use speed dial. More than twice (once out of shear disbelief).

Once you hover the mouse over a parameter, you could as well click and drag it anywhere you want and as long as you want.

With speed dial, though, once you stop turning, the parameter gets unlocked. And the mouse pointer is inches apart. Imagine the consequences :D

I proposed Novation to make an option of speed dial unpressed to be prog change instead.
It would be much more logical then to have sd locked as long as you keep depressing the knob.
Novation Team thanked and said they would pass this idea to a relevant dept. It was years ago.

As for the control of the first eight parameters - yes - it is not automap, but a regular midi mode - achievable with any midi controller.

Automap is restricted to VST(i).

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I imagine that the "automap" feature which assigns 8 rotaries to the macro knobs of selected devices works just as well with the Nocturn as with my SL MkII, which is to say it works very well. It is actually implemented through a Live MIDI remote script, not through Novation Automap.

I suppose that the macro behavior could be made to behave this way for any MIDI controller through development of custom remote scripts. I think that was the point of the previous poster. There is something to be said for officially supported devices though.

The speed dial feature sounds pretty useful to me because tiny mouse movements really cause my RSI to flare up, and I find it difficult to make fine adjustments with the mouse in many cases (i.e. envelope time jumping from 5 ms to 3 seconds when trying for something more like 800 ms). Hope this works for the SL also!
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 pm

ChiefNugget wrote:The speed dial feature sounds pretty useful to me

I'm afraid it's completely and utterly useless.