MIDI Clip changing and Undesired Panning

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dtrue17

MIDI Clip changing and Undesired Panning

Post by dtrue17 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Ableton and brand new to the forum. I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I haven't found it.

Two problems:

#1: I'm using a midi clip (synth flute-like) with a filter and an effect on it. When I play it, it sounds great. But when I shut down Ableton, restart it, and open up the same project, the sound has completely changed! it's barely audible and comes nowhere close to the sound it was before. When I highlight the track and double-click synth flute-like from the library, everything is back to normal... anybody know the reason or how to get around this?

#2: More than once, I've used ableton's synth bass midi clips to create a bassline. I notice the controls they give me, which are always limited to 8 at most, don't include a panning or a random pan option. However, I notice that the bassline keeps automatically panning back and forth while I leave it running. Is this something that's built in with the ableton instrument that I cannot change? Why would they do this to me?!

Thank you,

(Ableton Live Intro, updated to 8.2.7)

lyovino

Re: MIDI Clip changing and Undesired Panning

Post by lyovino » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 am

1- I have also in the past experienced this, sorry don't have an answer..
2- Have you checked what FX are on the channel strip? Also, you can open the Envelopes and delete the pans if any, that are in the track.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the response. That's why I'm so confused that auto or random panning isn't an FX option. How do I open up the envelopes? Can I do it in session view? That would answer probably a lot of questions I have. Right now I've been using arrangement view (by modifying those pink lines for different effects and mixer settings).
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
ASUS G-series, Intel i7 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, you can do it it both Session and Arrange.
When you highlight a clip or track, in the lower part of the screen and slightly to the left you will see "Clip", "Launch" and 'Envelope"
Use the drop down and select "Pan" from the Envelope box. You will now see the Pans on the Clip or Track to the right. Tap on that screen and hit the delete key. "Gone!"
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:09 pm

that's definitely a good point, and I learned some things by doing what you told me, but still the autopanning is there! I'm running the bass line over and over and it keeps going from left to right in my headphones!

Any more ideas?

In the envelope, there is no pan:

Options for the instrument don't include autopanning:
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
Windows 7 64-bit

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Whoops! The instrument from problem #1 is Strings-Flute Like, not Synth-Flute Like. If that helps at all....

I just opened the project again and it's so frustrating. Barely audible. all the notes are stacchato instead of drawn out like I have them, and it ignores the notes that I assigned to the instrument. But as soon as I double-click "strings-flute like" from the ableton library, everything is back to exactly how I set it before I closed the project!
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
Windows 7 64-bit

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:19 pm

In your first pic select "Midi Ctr" and then all Midi parameters. Now select CC 10 to double check the track.
Second problem, (Whoops post) you might want to consult support for that fix.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Good idea, going deeper into envelope control, but still no luck. CC 10 - pan is set at nothing. I even highlighted and deleted it, but nothing happened.

Still waiting on ableton tech support.

thanks for the help thus far
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
Windows 7 64-bit