annoying thing that might not bother other people

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
msintros

annoying thing that might not bother other people

Post by msintros » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 am

i just realized today that if you have a certain midi controller assigned to a parameter within live, if you go to record information from that controller onto a different midi track, input will ignore that controller.

for instance, i had controller 97 assigned to control the pitch of a vsti synth on one midi track. i can obviously record that automation onto that track. however, when i created a different midi track, planning on recording some of the automation onto that one leaving myself the option to send an alternate set of automation to the synth track, it wouldn't record any messages from controller 97. all other controllers would record onto the new track, but not 97. if i go to midi assign screen and delete the assign for 97 on the synth track, it will then start picking up 97 messages on the new track.

again, some people might not find this irritating because it's something 99/100 people probably won't ever even want to do, but i personally think it's kinda lame.

yur2die4

Re: annoying thing that might not bother other people

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:42 am

If it is possible assign it through the vst instead of through Live's mapping.

Either find out the default cc# for that parameter or if it has a learn function built in use that.

msintros

Post by msintros » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 am

mm, that is a thought. i was hoping for a more general solution to the problem, but i have a feeling it doesn't exist.

there are very rare instances i think where most people would want to do this, but i was thinking that if you could do it, it would enable you to create automation loops that were of different length than the clip they were controlling. it would be a convenient way of creating different modulation sequences that could be applied to any part. in every other case, it just makes sense to create a copy of that clip and create a different automation loop on that instead. it's the same number of additional events minus the additional track and routing selections.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Try using clips in session view using Legato mode. Take one instance, and duplicate it. Change the envelopes within the each of the clips to taste. Then you can trigger back and forth between the two (maybe lower the quantization also, or have one quantized to kick off with, and them several unquantized below)

Still not the solution unfortunately, but a fun way to get distracted :/