swing not applying to my MIDI notes

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jontah

swing not applying to my MIDI notes

Post by jontah » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:57 am

Hi!

I've been experimenting with beats and melodies for a while now. What I noticed though, is that the swing/groove/whatever isn't applied to my melodies in Ableton.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried all settings and grooves, but nothing happens. My melodies are in 16th notes and quantized directly after I recorded them, or actually some are even drawn in on the piano roll sequencer (MIDI only! no audio!)

When I'm changing to Swing or any dramatic setting, it's not moving, how do I make it "swing" more?

Thanks.

jontah

Re: swing not applying to my MIDI notes

Post by jontah » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 pm

funken wrote:You have to select the groove in the clip view as well, and to see it working to have to press the Commit button.

Personally I just use swing 16-99 and dial the timing to whatever percentage I want, and never commit, this way you have a global swing you can alter for all clips.

If you commit and then do it again you end up getting all sorts of problems, so turn the quantise up to 100.
I've done that! but it's not working, and I press the commit button aswell, it's not changing ANYTHING. eventhough I use extreme settings, what's wrong?!

btw I got the full version of Ableton aswell (bought)

Vios

Re: swing not applying to my MIDI notes

Post by Vios » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm

jontah wrote:My melodies are in 16th notes and quantized directly after I recorded them.
If you quantized them, then they are perfectly in time, hence there is no swing. Swing takes place when notes are slightly out of time. Try recording something without any quantization applied, and then copy the swing into another midi track. You should notice the change in the notes' timing.