Back To Arrangement always causes clicks!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Muso80

Back To Arrangement always causes clicks!!

Post by Muso80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am

Hi Guys,
Lately I've been using "arrangement view" in conjunction with "session view" when I play live... However more often than not when I'm playing clips etc in session view and then click "Back To Arrangment" I get clicks and pops, because I'm obviously re-entering the arrangement fractionally off time causing those bad edit clicks etc... It seems like a big oversight to me that Ableton has not tied in the "global quantize" function with "Back To Arrangment" to avoid this... Does anyone know a work around to avoid this problem, or alternatively can someone shed some light on something I might be missing...

Thanks

simmerdown

Re: Back To Arrangement always causes clicks!!

Post by simmerdown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 am

easy fix...just use session for playing Live live

but...i think you are using it wrong,(if there is a right way)...if you need to see the arrange view just hit tab...back to arrange is if you have made envelope changes and then want Live to revert to the previous settings, so its probably clicking bc you have messed with some params, then you are telling it to jump back instantly, sounds like a recipe for disaster as you have found out...or, lol, maybe i have it all wrong...very possible

imo the back to arrangement button should be banned, deleted abolished and destroyed

Muso80

Post by Muso80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 am

"back to arrange is if you have made envelope changes and then want Live to revert to the previous settings, so its probably clicking bc you have messed with some params, then you are telling it to jump back instantly"

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of what's causing the clicks. If you take another careful peak at my post you'll notice that this is the problem I'm describing and therefore looking for a solution to. For the kind of music I'm performing, and the manner in which I perform it (moving to other instruments etc) I need to be able to work in "session mode" and also be able to revert back to my fixed arrangement on the fly numerous times throughout a set. Therefore just performing using in session mode alone is not an option. Also, as I said in my original post if the "back to arrangement" function was quantize-able this (i would imagine) would solve the issue.. but as it's not that's why I'm looking for a work around.

Thanks for you input anyway :)

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 am

its not a quantize issue, bc it is not about timing

Muso80

Post by Muso80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:44 am

Sorry but what do you mean by "bc"?? .. If "back to arrangement" didn't kick in until the start of the next bar would this not avoid clicks as you are not asking Ableton to revert "BTA" at a random part of the bar (suddenly switching back in the middle of some automation within the arrangment, or if the audio you are switching back to is not at the zero crossing at that exact point). But rather waiting until the start of the next bar for example??

Muso80

Post by Muso80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 am

Sorry, just realised you mean "because" by "bc" ... Also on another note "BTA" is not only used to revert back envelope changes that have been made as you say... You could also be launching additional clips within a track in "session view" and then reverting back to the "set arrangement audio" on the track in "arrangement view"... So if you hit BTA when the audio waveform in "arrangement view" is not exactly on the zero crossing then you get clicks... Or at least that is what I have deduced... So this is why I feel it is a quantize issue... Am I missing something??

Vios

Post by Vios » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Where's your CPU % at when this happens? Might try increasing the buffer size on your audio interface and see if that helps. I'd imagine it takes Live quite a few CPU cycles to load all of the information on each screen.