Transfer an Ableton Project between computers

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
guitarman.mathew@gmail.com

Transfer an Ableton Project between computers

Post by guitarman.mathew@gmail.com » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am

I am an Ableton Newbie, so to speak, I have been using it for a few months but not really gone through all of the tutorials due to lack of time. Working on that though.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to transfer an Ableton Live 8 project from one computer with Ableton Live 8 to another with the same platform with everything in tact. I tried transferring a project but it said that it samples were missing? So I guess that Ableton does not actually import samples but reads them from where they are on the machine? How can I transfer a project and all of the samples on it, in a way that the mix is the same as what I have already done?

dentaku

Re: Transfer an Ableton Project between computers

Post by dentaku » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:47 am

The feature you're looking for is called "Collect All And Save".
It will put everything in the project folder including samples.
I've used it before and it works but it will make you project files larger of course.
guitarman.mathew@gmail.com wrote:I am an Ableton Newbie, so to speak, I have been using it for a few months but not really gone through all of the tutorials due to lack of time. Working on that though.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to transfer an Ableton Live 8 project from one computer with Ableton Live 8 to another with the same platform with everything in tact. I tried transferring a project but it said that it samples were missing? So I guess that Ableton does not actually import samples but reads them from where they are on the machine? How can I transfer a project and all of the samples on it, in a way that the mix is the same as what I have already done?

dokx

Post by dokx » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 am

I use Dropbox, not only for projects but also for my presets, templates, library add-ons etc. - everything is automatically in sync on two machines. :)

guitarman.mathew@gmail.com

Post by guitarman.mathew@gmail.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Thank you both for your replies, I have used drop box before for transferring files, file mail works well too. Collect all and save is what I was looking for so that is a huge help I really appreciate it, this will making working remotely much easier.

modecai

Post by modecai » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm

dentaku wrote:The feature you're looking for is called "Collect All And Save".
It will put everything in the project folder including samples.
I've used it before and it works but it will make you project files larger of course.
guitarman.mathew@gmail.com wrote:I am an Ableton Newbie, so to speak, I have been using it for a few months but not really gone through all of the tutorials due to lack of time. Working on that though.

what's the different between this and making your track into a "live pack" ?