No MIDI or audio input sound

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
NEILPH

No MIDI or audio input sound

Post by NEILPH » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 am

I haven't used Ableton for a while and am trying to do something simple but can't get it to work.
I can't get any sound from my MIDI or microphone audio input [but I can from the computer keyboard and the Preferences test tone.
It looks to me as if I'm not getting input. If I select either the MIDI or Audio track and play or sing, there is no indication of any sound.
I've used the same setup as I've successfully used in the past: for MIDI In: All Ins All Channels Out: Microsoft GB Ch1.
I've selected the MIDI column, activated and armed it, plus the Global record. No sound.

I'm sure it's something easy. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks.

lyovino

Re: No MIDI or audio input sound

Post by lyovino » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 am

What do you have selected as your audio source in Preferences? I/O
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

NEILPH

Post by NEILPH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm

This is weird. This morning I turned on my PC, plugged in the MIDI USB, and started Ableton. I didn't touch any Ableton controls except to arm the MIDI panel on the session view. To my surprise I could see I was getting MIDI input. I wasn't getting any sound output and noticed that the MIDI was saying No Output [which I don't recall setting it to]. I changed the output to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, and I got sound.

I don't understand why this didn't work yesterday. I know the MIDI USB was being recognised by my PC.

To answer your question, my MIDI\Sync Preferences are Control Surface: Oxygen8 Input: Hua Xing Output: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Those are shown twice for some reason.

I have the above MIDI Ports set to On for Track, Sync and Remote. Some other music software I have, Neuratron AudioScore, is being recognised by Ableton but I have it set to Off.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Perhaps for future, if you leave you PC running, it might be good practice to reboot your system before knocking yourself out..
Audio and Midi have a good record of going to sleep if not not refreshed on a system that has been running and not used.
I make it a part of the recording process. You clear out your ram and all the sh*t that been running..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

NEILPH

Post by NEILPH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes, that thought had passed through my mind, "I wonder what would happen if I reboot". It seems that I have the answer. I don't like it though. I have been a software programmer, and the worst kind of faults were the intermittent ones that couldn't be identified. I had no choice as a programmer but to find the exact problem and fix it before handing the software to our client. [That's the total opposite of Facebook, which is what we called a "black box"; it keeps changing and does weird things, and you can't see under the hood to find out what the problem is.]

Thankfully, it doesn't matter with Ableton. Problem solved.

Thanks again.