Play chord voicings: chord selection & on/off beat randomly

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mjazzguitar

Play chord voicings: chord selection & on/off beat randomly

Post by mjazzguitar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi every one ,

I'm a jazz player and I love electronic music. I'm using LIVE and I love it.

I would like to improvise over changing (randomly) chord voicings that i can record (audio) or write (midi) previously. This chords must be played on the beat and off the beat randomly too. Like a piano player comping over a bass/drum section.

I was thinking on (AUDIO RECORDED CHORDS) :
- Play my different chord voicings on different time beats , and use clip follow action (any)

But I would like to read some other ideas , maybe with MIDI (scale / random) , or with AUDIO chords.

I´ll be waiting for your answers or files, thanks.

Evengy

Re: Play chord voicings: chord selection & on/off beat randomly

Post by Evengy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:56 pm

thats my first suggestion: using random and a scale device. have you tried it?
another thing: loading a few one bar chords in session views track 1 and configure "follow action". configure something like "after playing the selected clip, randomly choose another one which will be played after one bar.

mjazzguitar

Post by mjazzguitar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 am

thanks Evengy for your suggestions.

Please would you describe the midi idea step by step , please?

I would like to generate 4th chords randomly

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 am

I'm a big fan of Arpeggiator :). Sometimes I'll use multiple ones at varying lengths. Lots of possibilities. A LOT. If you want to get ridiculous, you could have a midi channel for every scale you want to use, random transposing on each of those etc etc. (in order to do that, you would want a midi rack that accepts only one note on the channel, then random transpose after).

So something like, one channel with 1-bar held arpeggiator (100% duration), with five possible notes output, five midi channels receiving from that channel, each with unique scales. get messy and creative somewhere.

Send all those channels to piano channel. Piano channel has two arpeggiators for rhythmic fun (one option is setting one to 1/3, next to 1/16(no repeat). Both set to chord. Maybe a third set to a pattern, with sync off. Options go on and on!

Honestly, I lost track.. Hope it gives you possible options :/