bussing your drums?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Lettuce

bussing your drums?

Post by Lettuce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 am

I was told that I should try bussing my drums to an external reverb VST, to get better quality and sound. What does that actually mean. Sometimes I place a reverb on a return track that corresponds to my Kicks,snares, perc and so forth. What does the word "bussing" mean?

yur2die4

Re: bussing your drums?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42 am

Bussing is combining the channels to one, so the entirety can be processed. You might already be doing the better option however haha. Busing helps more for compressing and EQing the overall drum element. You can mix it together and have control over the sound as a whole before they get mixed with the other instruments. It helps 'meld' their sound together so they feel more like they belong with each other and interplay more naturally.

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:07 am

thanks, I 'll experiment with that.

thanks

Vios

Post by Vios » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Insert an audio track, then click the little I/O in the lower right in session view. Rename the new track to "Buss". Set the new audio track to 'IN'. Then go to the tracks you want to send to it and select the send to "Buss". Now you can process several tracks in one. One example of where I usually do this is in the final stages of production I'll send all of my drums to a single bus and apply some mild compression, EQing.

Hope this helps,
-V

alphadelphi

Post by alphadelphi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 pm

for easy bussing tasks im used to group tracks, it's not a best practice but it works...

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:28 am

alphadelphi wrote:for easy bussing tasks im used to group tracks, it's not a best practice but it works...
Why is this not best practice? Surely it's the same as bussing to a regular audio track, just without the need to set it all up manually? Maybe I'm missing something...

I've been doing it this way since we've had group tracks.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

1.A.M.

Post by 1.A.M. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 am

Same here, I tend to group several tracks and call that a buss, i think is the exact same thing. i use busses for leads or other elements as well and apply various fx on that buss.
Cheers

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 am

i create a kick, clap/snare and percussions. for each a seperate track and i group them all and name it "drums". lead sounds get it´s own group like fx.