Rendering Audio Bypassing Master

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
xradicalx

Rendering Audio Bypassing Master

Post by xradicalx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Hello folks,
I have multiple tracks in a project and some of them are setup to bypass the Master channel (audio to: External Out)
I am trying to render the project to audio, but there are only two options, either render the Master or all Tracks separately. I was thinking of creating a group of ALL tracks in the project except the ones that aren't going through the Master and moving the parameters I have on the Master right now to that group only, leaving the Master channel clean so that I could route the "external out" tracks to Master, but that wouldn't be the same would it?
I am looking for a way to render the whole project to audio, not just the Master channel.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

scottiedo

Re: Rendering Audio Bypassing Master

Post by scottiedo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 am

Send the External Out tracks to a return post fader. Send the return to the master. Now everything is going to the master, all your automation will be intact and it's easy to undo... just mute the return when you want to go back to External Outs.

xradicalx

Post by xradicalx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks Scottiedo! I will give it a try.
Will the Master fx chain not affect the signal from the returns?

scottiedo

Post by scottiedo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm

I depends how you route them. By default the returns are going to the master... So yes master effects will be applied to everything.

xradicalx

Post by xradicalx » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Is there a way to route them to bypass the master but still get rendered to audio during mixdownd?
There is only one option available and that is - render the signal from the Master channel. There is an option to route channels to Ext. Out which sounds great when you play it inside Ableton, but those channels do not get rendered to audio since they are not going through the Master... That's the mystery.

scottiedo

Post by scottiedo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Correct. In order to render you must sum the audio. To create a stereo file, the audio must be combined. This is done with the master track.
If you don't want to use the effects on the master track, then turn them off. If you want some of your tracks going through the effects on the master track and you want other to bypass those effects then you need to create a submix. Send all the tracks currently going to the master to a new audio track. Move the effects currently on the master track to the new submix channel. Now your master track is clean. Rout the external outs to the master with the new submix.